22-250 load

2 years ago I did some work with the 50 grain Varmint Grenade and found some real accuracy issues with them in my .223. In my 22-250 I couldn't find a load that they suggested the bullet would hold together. I loaded it light and still couldn't get consistant in my 22-250. Lost interest in the bullet as I was also finding large weight differences between them.

From my experiences I would suggest a different bullet. I fielded about 100 rounds of V-Grenade and didn't find them any more 'explosive' than the same load with a V-max.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:
You might look this load; it's worked for me in my 22.250 Wby Varmintmaster and M700 Varmint {both 26"} for many years.
It's not a hot load, but in the 1-12 twist barrels; it's a slate wiper for Yotes out to 500 yards, and without the beating up your bore.

Sierra 60gr HP Varmint #1375
IMR 4064 (34.7grs) this is not a max load for the bullet weight.
Primer CCI BR-2
Case Winchester
Velocity 3500 fps

Zeroed at 200 yards… 2 mil's up on top of his back for 500 yards, or 8 MOA center of target.

I've knocked the dust off of many Yotes with this load… I could have gone faster, flatter and farther….. But nothing seemed to drop them in their tracks harder between barrel and 500 yards. I really think a lot of Dog whackers and paper puncher are missing out on this flat base bullet… which shoots like a match accurate bullet.
Just thinking out loud.

I've knocked the dust off of many Yotes with this load… I could have gone faster, flatter and farther….. But nothing seemed to drop them in their tracks harder between barrel and 500 yards. I really think a lot of Dog whackers and paper puncher are missing out on this flat base bullet… which shoots like a match accurate bullet.
Just thinking out loud.

Your very correct in your out loud thinking. I was talking with an old fella on the range one day. He said BT tail bullets are over rated and should only be used for shots from 600 yards plus. He said the FB bullet will shoot more accurately to 600yrds than most BT's. That was also when he suggested that I should be zeroing and checking my loads to 300+ yards when I use BT's. He said most experienced target shooters that shoot 600 or less will in fact use a FB bullet.

Tank

liltank,
I see my friend we've spoken too the same saga old fella on the range... and a wise man he was. Like you; I believe for most

Seems I lost 1/2 this message some where??? got me??? sorry.

Last edited:
If you're loading several hundred rounds on a progressive press for a PD hunt (as I have for many, many years), the BTs are easier to line up, start and seat in the cases than the FB variety. Much less fumbling around and cussing.

If you're loading several hundred rounds on a progressive press for a PD hunt (as I have for many, many years), the BTs are easier to line up, start and seat in the cases than the FB variety. Much less fumbling around and cussing.

I concur. We are just speaking about accuracy that can be attained with the FB bullet that is overlooked by those of us that shoot extreme long range. I know that BT's are easier to load as far as progression is concerned. I shoot BT's all the time. I use a flat base bullet in my 243 because it is limited to 400yrds or less (.25" to .50" groups all day at the range).

Tank

Thanks to evryone for the info. Now about a scope for this 22-250. I plan on using it mainly for PD and yote hunting. What is the approximate max distance I should plan on shooting and how powerful of a scope will accomplish what I need to do with out over powering. Do I really need a 8-32 X 56mm or is that over kill?

My M700 VLS shoots the 50 gr BT well with Varget.
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

JD338

If you're going to use Varmint Grenades, don't waste your time with the 50grainers.

Instead, use the 36grain Varmint Grenades. The 36gr VG's are as long as a 52gr Amax. I used the Varget load data in the Hornady manual for 40gr Vmax with good success. They are not as spectacular as Vmax but still impressive on little critters.gun)

whatever you do for a scope, make sure it has fine crosshairs. I have a buckmasters bdc and the lines cover up ground squirrels when you take long shots.

H380......... That is all that needs to be said for the 22-250 and 50 grain bullets.

I have tried most suitable powders for the 22-250 and always come back to H-380. From 37-42 grains depending on your rifle. I found no accuracy differences just different speeds. I never weigh it out anymore. It throws within 1/10 of a grain for 10 charges consistantly. You read that right. When I set my measure I pump 10 charges into a pan and adjust until it throws for example 400 grains dead on. Once set it will repeat this level of consistancy time after time. Then I just throw 50 or 100 at a time. I can charge 100 cases in about 4-5 minutes. Now that I have a Dillon I may try loading it on the progressive press.

I use CCI-250 magnum primers. I load this for many different 22-250's and it will show you what your rifle is capable of. Both of my lowly Ruger varminters shoot 1/4" groups out of a couple factory barrels that are now well over 7000 rounds each. It burns really clean too. I have better luck with Winchester brass. I used to seat my bullets a certain distance of the lands but now I can no longer get any where near the lands with the bullets falling out of the cases so now we just seat so they will feed and we are good to go.

The BD 8-32 is a great piece of glass. I had one but could never get used to the overall size of it and sold it in favor of some fine plex Leupolds.

Any one use the 55 grain nosler Bt and what load . Seems like im going to have to try some varget.
mike

Agreed!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.