22-250 for deer?

A couple years ago Wyoming changed to minimum 22 60 grain or more for deer and antalope. Have shot 2 deer with 223(50 barns) and 3 wiith a swift (50 vmax) they had one thing in common= they went two feet straight down but none of them hit a rib on the way in.
I know the 8 twist 22-250 and even the 223s would work but just cant get myself to use them when i now have better alternatives.
To answer the op question a barns or partition would kill to 300 yards if you have a direct line to the lungs and the off shoulder would be prefered.

Look I know 10 billion deer have been harvest in Texas with a 22-250 but most of that is 80-100 yds from a deer feeder shooting out of deer blind
Which makes for some well placed shots. But in other areas of the country where baiting isn't legal , we get bucks chasing does across a field ( they may stop and they may not) hunting in the woods where a small branch or twig can deflect a small caliber so easy
I have to agree with you. I won't say a 22-250 won't kill deer, but there are better calibers for hunting mule deer or northern whitetails.

I have a extra sweet 22-250 with a 8 twist barrel it shoots 70 -75 Gr. stuff great!
But it ain't no deer rifle! Too Little!

I disagree with that wholeheartedly. Really depend on the size of the deer. Culling small does or spikes, pretty much any heavy 22-250 load will work. For largers animal a 78 gr Barnes TSX at 3100 fps.......devastating!

I have no experience shooting deer with a 22-250. I have used a .243 with good results. I also won't go out and buy a 22-250 just to hunt deer. I have a good selection of other calibers to use. Any caliber can and has killed deer. Practice shooting and know the limitations of your firearm and good hunting.

I have used a 22-250 on deer this was years ago before some of the heavier bullets in a better Construction that is shooting three times the bullet kept opening up on impact that was it about 270 yards. I started my kids out on 243 and it didn't take long I've now move them 6-5 Creedmoor is at a minimum I like the extra weight create a lot better Blood Trail in the heavy grasses. So yes will they kill deer I think there's better options

I really don't give a little pile of OWL crap who agrees with me or not!
I don't need validation from someone who has no idea what I know!
I stated MY opinion and I don't care what you think! Like I said before My partner and I own 630 acres East of Spencer WV IF we invite you to hunt you will not use any
22 based rifle..It's not debatable period! NO..

There are just too many things to consider. I've been to Texas and seen their deer
And really a nice big Kentucky buck would be a monster in Texas their does are the size of my dog (130)? So to say something will work each and every time no matter what
Isn't realistic

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills

Lots of opinions and many with merit. I have killed many deer with the 22/250 but I used the neck shot only and never relied on any other point of aim. It was deadly and I never lost one. Many times I hunted with others that used the lighter calibers and saw many loose or shoot them 3 or 4 times before putting them down. and also after seeing and having to dispatch poor necks shot deer by others made with larger calibers, I had to rethink what I was doing.

The 22 250 was one of the most enjoyable rifles I ever owned and one of the deadliest. But I saw what would happen if a person was not a good shot or didn't know when to pass on a shot, so I went to larger calibers for deer so time and luck would not catch up with me and produce one of these bad hunts for me.

I have also seen many youths make poor shots and get discouraged when they cant find the game and lose interest in hunting so I try to encourage there parents to shoot something larger so the margin of error means less. My recommendation is to start them with something like a 260 Remington or a 7/08 Remington. these cartridges are plenty for deer but don't have much recoil, and with a muzzle brake, they will have less recoil than a 22 250 plus it is a good way to get them use to hearing protection for a life of good hearing.

Use the 22 250 for what it is great for varmints and targets.

Just my recommendation

J E CUSTOM

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills
I have used a 250 for culling deer. Head shots only. First. Most states don't allow center fire 22 calibers, even the 22-250 and 220 swift are illegal so chk your laws. I have shot some deer in the chest out to 200ish with a 250 and soft points. Killes them dead but, IMO it would be a marginal round at best. The chance of hitting a bone or something going wrong and wounding a deer outweighs the upside, IMO. 243? Fine.

I think a 22-250 is fine for hunting Deer as long as you stay within the 1800/1100 industry standard. Staying within those parameters is going to put some substantial limits on distance.

Check your twist rate. If you have the appropriate twist rate you might find yourself with less tracking if you use a heavier bullet...I had good success teaching several girls to hunt with a 223 using 62-64 grain hunting bullets such as the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. These might be okay with that slower twist. Performance on the deer was excellent out to about 100 yds, but given that it was a 223 and new hunters I kept them at that distance. For a slightly more experienced marksman using a 22-250 - assuming you will wait for a good clear shot - I would think those same bullets or even those up 70 grains will stretch that out to 200. Not sure how much further I'd push that as light, smaller diameter bullets just don't have the 'knockdown' power you get from a heavier caliber.
I've played with this a bit and found that velocities around 3100-3200 with a 69 grain bullet was pretty accurate from my 22-250 with a 1:10 twist, and might be a little easier on your brass. Never tried it on a deer but would suggest this is a reasonable place to start...guess you just have to see what gives you a acceptable accuracy from your rifle and take it from there. And of course when you mention nieces & nephews it won't take much to figure out how long a shot they can handle at the range, once you have a decent load for that launcher.

I'm not saying it wont work I just think it's a little small . For deer I wouldn't go any thing less then a .243 .its good to get the young out hunting but if the shot is off the deer will run off and you may never find him

Lots of opinions and many with merit. I have killed many deer with the 22/250 but I used the neck shot only and never relied on any other point of aim. It was deadly and I never lost one. Many times I hunted with others that used the lighter calibers and saw many loose or shoot them 3 or 4 times before putting them down. and also after seeing and having to dispatch poor necks shot deer by others made with larger calibers, I had to rethink what I was doing.

The 22 250 was one of the most enjoyable rifles I ever owned and one of the deadliest. But I saw what would happen if a person was not a good shot or didn't know when to pass on a shot, so I went to larger calibers for deer so time and luck would not catch up with me and produce one of these bad hunts for me.

I have also seen many youths make poor shots and get discouraged when they cant find the game and lose interest in hunting so I try to encourage there parents to shoot something larger so the margin of error means less. My recommendation is to start them with something like a 260 Remington or a 7/08 Remington. these cartridges are plenty for deer but don't have much recoil, and with a muzzle brake, they will have less recoil than a 22 250 plus it is a good way to get them use to hearing protection for a life of good hearing.

Use the 22 250 for what it is great for varmints and targets.

Just my recommendation

J E CUSTOM
Very well said . Always liked the 260 rem. The creed has taken over sorry to say

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.