22-250 for deer/antelope

Hornady 62 gr or 68 gr BTHP w/ cannelure. I have been very happy with the 62 gr version on both paper and game out of 16" AR's. I'm not sure how the 62 gr would perform with impact velocity over 3400 fps, but I would expect 10"-12" of penetration. Plus both are inexpensive, $30-$40 per 250 from Midsouth.

I have always been a mono (Barnes) bullet hater, but I drew a deer tag in 2017 where they highly recommended using mono bullets to save the California Condor. the fish and game even pitched in for a box of bullets so I worked up a load with the 62gr TTSX Barnes. they were very finiky to get to shoot well but finally found a good load. Was surprised when I shot my deer, obvious it was dead before it hit the ground.
For the most part if I am shooting big game with a 22cal I like the 65gr Sierra GK

I'm running a 50 grain Barnes TSX over 36 grains of Varget in my old Japanese Wby. Varmintmaster (1:12 twist). Limit myself to 250 yards with this set-up but it seems to get the job done on whitetail with authority.

This is a subject that's been beat to death here, and will probably get heated..lol but since you wondered what people used.... Ive taken a few with my 22-250 and my wife has also.. I took one with a neck shot,, very close range 20-30 yards steady rest,, I don't really condone neck shots, but I took one, and it worked well, very destructive, but could have been a miss or wound easily if only 2 inches either direction. Ive taken others as well as my wife that were all broadside, less than 100 yards and lung shots behind the shoulder with only rib contact, no shoulder bones hit, all were pass through shots with the deer traveling less than 50 yards each time, and two dropping in their tracks.. Now all these shots were with a steady rest at completely broadside deer and very careful placement, but they all worked out fine,, but Ive also heard LOTS of stories of people not having positive outcomes with the 22-250. In mine I shoot hand loads, and for all the deer, I shot 63 grain Sierra Soft Point bullets, they seemed to mushroom well and not fragment on entry, Id never try it with hollow point or ballistic tip ammo,, I always wanted to try some of the Nosler Partitions to see how they do, but haven't shot one with it for several years, and now the wife has stepped up to a .243... So that my experience,, I wouldn't recommend it for a lot of people, but someone who is patient and has some experience and will take the time to use good bullet placement, and proper bullets,it will work.

I think I am going to go with the tried and true Partitions. They make a 60 grain bullet that should fit the bill. It will be interesting to see what kind of accuracy they produce out past 500 yards with their lead tips.

Have you really thought that through? Using a 60 gr bullet out of a 22-250 at 3500 fps muzzle velocity will only give you between 950 and 1000 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards. At 500 yards it is between 350 and 400 foot pounds of energy. It might be OK on P-dogs or groundhogs but not on deer.

This or the 70 grain nosler accubond if they're ever released.

I have a 1:8 22-250ai that shoots 60-80 grainers really well but didn't likes the Sciricco's. I'm waiting till the new accubonds come out myself

I ordered two boxes of the new 70 grain Nos AB's last this week from Midway. Planning to shoot a 300 yard ladder test in the next week or two.

I haven't really done the math on it, but the Partitions have a great reputation of weight retention and knock down. When used as a deer/antelope gun, it won't be shot over 200 yards. I would like to stretch it out past 500 yards on coyotes though. I just put 5 rounds through it last weekend with the 55 grain VMax I currently have. It's a sweet shooting rig so far. I have a Tikka 243 for my son to use on deer and antelope after the 22-250. He has a 300 RUM after that.

I haven't really done the math on it, but the Partitions have a great reputation of weight retention and knock down. When used as a deer/antelope gun, it won't be shot over 200 yards. I would like to stretch it out past 500 yards on coyotes though. I just put 5 rounds through it last weekend with the 55 grain VMax I currently have. It's a sweet shooting rig so far. I have a Tikka 243 for my son to use on deer and antelope after the 22-250. He has a 300 RUM after that.
What is the elevation where you hunt?

At 6000 ft, a 60 gr Nosler partition will have an effective range of about 250 yards range for Deer. A 75 gr Swift Scirocco would have about twice that.

At 6000 ft, a 60 gr Nosler partition will have an effective range of about 250 yards range for Deer. A 75 gr Swift Scirocco would have about twice that.

That's something I will definitely check into. I just got the rifle and I have about 200 rounds of 55 grain VMax ammo to burn up. Plus, my son is only 6. I want his first couple of kills to be around 100 yards anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.