22-250 for deer?

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills
I've killed plenty with my 22-250 large 300+# white tail, Mulies & Elk always use 53 gr BTHP AT 4300fps accurate to 1000 yes in my savage 110 26" heavy barrel. One shot is all it takes

Tagging in because I'm considering a 22 creed for occasional use on deer....

what about a fast twist 22-250 shooting 70-90 grainers? I know I know most of the real heavy ones are target bullets.. some may have already been mentioned but what about the 70 grain accubond? Barnes 70 and 78 grain TSX? Barnes 77 grain LRX are a few heavier bullets that i thought would be good picks.

I shoot 50 grain blitzKing in my 220 swift. It will and does kill deer. Shot placement is important. I upper neck or head shoot, but this year dropped a nice buck thru lower neck and it took out the opposing shoulder. My thought is: if I can't make my shot, then don't shoot. There are more deer in the woods!

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills

They used 32-20 rifles back in the day (The Jordan Buck). If you can kill one with a 32-20 , you can kill them with anything. Just a question of how consistent your accuracy is. I here people all the time saying what's too small to kill a deer. I've never seen one run from a head shot, no matter the distance. Many a deer have been killed with a 22 rim fire and many have been lost , wounded with a 300.
It's not about the gun. It's the shooter.

I've used bolt action 223's and 22-250's for several years now. I hunt middle Georgia so the average buck is 145lbs and the average doe is 115lbs. I've kept my shots under 200 yards and usually try and put the bullet in the upper neck area. I use a factory 75gr gold dot for my Remington 700 223 and I use factory federal 55 gr power point in my Remington 700 22-250. I've never lost a deer to either the 223 or the 22-250. Most have fallen where I shot them but a few ran less than 50 yards. The blood trail was hard to find but it was there.

I have killed deer with Rem 22/250's with 14 twists

55g Hornady Soft point with the cannalure
63g Sierra semi point is very accurate in a 14 twist

New bullet out that is fantastic, the Speer 55g Bonded Core bullet, and it is very, very accurate!

55g use Varget

63g use IMR, H, or AA4350

A 64g Winchester may stabalize out of the 14T, I have read it but not played around with it myself.

65g Sierra BTSP will not stabalize in a 14T, nor will a 60g V max.

I have shot half a dozen deer with the rem 700 with the 60g partition, and groups are 2" to 1.5". If you hit a deer on the shoulder with this bullet, you will throw away the front half of the deer, MV of 3450 fps.

I found that the 64-grain Winchester Power Point stabilizes just fine in a 14-inch twist 22-250. So does the 70-grain Speer semi-spitzer, and both kill deer well. I road-tested that pretty thoroughly on whitetails years ago. I shot more animals with the Winchester, because it shot more accurately in my particular rifle. Both bullets killed well, and neither made big holes. No blood-shot meat to speak of - just a dead deer with a hole through its lungs and a nickel-sized exit wound. Oddly, without extensive damage, all deer went down on the spot.

I also tried a custom bullet that was available at the time, from a company in Canada called Blue Point. They were a bonded core design, and I tried them in 60, 65, and 70 grains. Only the 60-grain bullet would stabilize, and groups were nothing special. I killed a couple of deer with it, and results were just like with the other bullets. I had more of the Winchester & Speer bullets, so that is what I used for the next several years.

I had a buddy in southern Oregon who used to use the 22-250 on blacktail deer, especially when his wife started hunting with him. He just used the garden-variety Sierra softpoints, in 55-grains. He told me that he saw no need to use anything heavier, or with a stiffer jacket - these worked just fine. The deer there aren't very large, and neither were the does I was shooting in Pennsylvania. I was careful to only take rib-cage shots, and never tried to shoot one right on the shoulder. He said that he never cut it that fine, and they shot their deer "in the chest" and didn't worry about whether or not they hit bones. He said it worked just like when they shot them with the 25-06 he favored for larger animals.

An added bonus I remember was that I could watch the deer fall down through the scope, due to lack of recoil. That was a little different for me at the time. If I had it to do again, I would probably try the 60-grain Nosler partitions, like somebody else recommended in this thread. I also saw that somebody liked the 55-grain Barnes, and there's a factory load available with those. Most of the other monolithic bullet designs are available in this diameter, and would probably work well. I doubt that anything much heavier than 55 grains would stabilize in the 14-inch twist, though. Factory loads would be the least expensive way to find that out, and you wouldn't be left with the rest of a 100-bullet box of bullets that don't work in your rifle.

I had someone shoot 2 bucks in two hunts on my place with a .223 and we never found either one . It's was family but I told him to bring a bigger gun or stay home
Gotta love these "friend of a friend" stories that get put forward as "evidence" in all of these threads.

Here's the glaring problem that all of these stories have in common: You didnt recover either deer, you didnt even find a blood trail, so you have no idea where he hit it... or if he even hit it at all. All you have to go off of is that he said he hit it, but yeah, it was totally his choice in gun. Your two anecdotal stories are absolutely the rule not the exception in spite of the thousands of deer killed with .224cal every year.

Based on the fact that these were the same gun/hunter, the first thing I would do is tell you friend/family to learn how to shoot. Now he's just going to go get the latest Fudd approved shoulder cannon and continue to wound/miss deer. SMH

Dont let that get in the way of your "I know better than everyone else, bigger is always better" rant. 22-250 and 243 with a proper controled expansion deer appropriate bullet are near as makes no difference the same thing.

Look I know 10 billion deer have been harvest in Texas with a 22-250 but most of that is 80-100 yds from a deer feeder shooting out of deer blind
Which makes for some well placed shots. But in other areas of the country where baiting isn't legal , we get bucks chasing does across a field ( they may stop and they may not) hunting in the woods where a small branch or twig can deflect a small caliber so easy

I've hunted extensively with slug guns in the upper Midwest, and I've found that the big 12-gauge slugs ( which weight well over an ounce ) deflect terribly on twigs and brush. NOTHING is impervious to deflection, and if I need to thread a bullet through a hole in the brush I think I could accomplish that more handily with an accurate rifle than with a slug gun. The concept of the "brush-buster" rifle with a big bullet is a myth.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.