22-250 for deer?

I understand but these were not partition loads and I think he shot the deer behind the shoulder like a normal deer rifle and the deer ran off without any blood trail at all . I have bow hunted for 40 yrs and I can blood trail deer fairly well but I fail to find these two . What happened this family member worked for a company that did not allow guns in Co trucks so he would leave a cheaper .223 at our deer camp so he could go hunting in the afternoon. But after these two instances I couldn't let him keep doing that . I was raised to cleanly put all game down like lightning hit them so no one suffers

I taught my daughter to do the same and she started harvesting deer at 8 yrs old with a 243 that I set up for her . Being a smaller caliber I was concerned so I taught her to high shoulder shoot them and we never lost a deer , most never knew what hit them . When she out grew that rifle as I set it up , I moved her up to a 270

Look I know 10 billion deer have been harvest in Texas with a 22-250 but most of that is 80-100 yds from a deer feeder shooting out of deer blind
Which makes for some well placed shots. But in other areas of the country where baiting isn't legal , we get bucks chasing does across a field ( they may stop and they may not) hunting in the woods where a small branch or twig can deflect a small caliber so easy

I've killed 3 deer and a hog with a .223 remington. All shots within in 100 yards. For the deer I used federal deer thugs, the hog I was a moron and used FMJ. .223 had the deer not run maybe more than 30-50 yards max. Hog ran about a 100 and was still alive when I got to it. All 4 were shoulder shots.

like others have said their are better cartridges for deer, but the right bullet and the right distance it will get the job done for sure.

The original post stayed a guy buying a .223 and was planning on shooting deer in the lungs with it , which i feel is inadequate

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.