22-243AI vs 22 CHeetah vs 22 something else

22-243 ackley fast twist barrel life and performance

I have had and shot out a few 22-243 ackleys. Yes they are hard on barrels but what cartidge that matches the ballistics that isn't. I load on the hot side and get around 3600 fps with 80 a-max in a 30 inch tube. I rechamber at 400 to 500 rounds. I use laupa brass and they shoot very well. I don't lie most really fast flat shooting cartidges tear barrels up but you can't have it all. To a 1000 yards their arent many flatter shooting and better wind bucking cartidges for ground hogs. The 22 dasher is a better option for barrel life and is all most people need. The 22 dasher will shoot from 3100 to 3300 fps with 80's. I consider the 22-243 ackley the limit for me in a 22 cal case and I can live with 500 rounds and rechember. If anyone has any questions call me on my cell 724-366-1989 I have a good bit of experience with fast twist 22 cals. Stay with the dasher or 22-243 cases for the reason of laupa brass. My honest 2 cents on barrel life and performance. Reed

"VH, how much barrel life do you expect from your 22/243AI?

And, how many shots before the bore starts tearing those Amax apart?"

I didn't expect as much as I actually got. I fired aprox. 1,000 rounds, confirmed by my reloading log books, before I decided to set the barrel back and rechamber to 22-243 (plain). I NEVER shot the rifle hot and always kept the barrel clean using standard BR cleaning methods

I have yet to tear apart a single A-Max (moly) bullet. I have always attributed that to 3 things:

1. Very smooth bore
2. Moly coated bullets (using the NECO method)
3. Loading the bullets .007" into the rifling

For those barrels that seem to dust A-Max bullets, I'd suggest the 80gr SMK which has a nearly indestructable jacket. I originally built the rifle with this bullet in mind but the rifle just preferred the 75 A-Max (moly) bullet. It's pretty hard to argue with a .625" group shot at 600 yards.

Once you have tried the 22-243 (anything) you will be hooked! :>)

I have had exceptionally good performance from the 22-243AI and feel that it is the practical limit for a .224 bore and heavy bullet.

22-243 ackley fast twist barrel life and performance

I have had and shot out a few 22-243 ackleys. Yes they are hard on barrels but what cartidge that matches the ballistics that isn't. I load on the hot side and get around 3600 fps with 80 a-max in a 30 inch tube. I rechamber at 400 to 500 rounds. I use laupa brass and they shoot very well. I don't lie most really fast flat shooting cartidges tear barrels up but you can't have it all. To a 1000 yards their arent many flatter shooting and better wind bucking cartidges for ground hogs. The 22 dasher is a better option for barrel life and is all most people need. The 22 dasher will shoot from 3100 to 3300 fps with 80's. I consider the 22-243 ackley the limit for me in a 22 cal case and I can live with 500 rounds and rechember. If anyone has any questions call me on my cell 724-366-1989 I have a good bit of experience with fast twist 22 cals. Stay with the dasher or 22-243 cases for the reason of laupa brass. My honest 2 cents on barrel life and performance. Reed
Reed Mosser,

I'm looking for a out of the box wildcat. I'm thinking that the 22-243AI might be my best option. I currently load a 22-243 middlestead. I'm trying to get the fastest speed possible (5,000) with a 32gr monolithic slug. what are your thoughts?

I have both a 22-243AI and a Middlestead and both are equal, but for some reason when I start to turn up the heat the Middlestead will take more powder before showing signs of pressure.

Dean

The 22-243AI should get you over 5,000 ft/sec with a 30gr bullet and Varget or RE15. It's an interesting idea but I can't imagine what it would be used for. I considered it for awhile but figured it would result in a significant reduction in throat life; but who knows?

Now that Hammer has released their AH bullets, it's possible that you could get even higher velocity with a little careful load experimentation. 6,000 ft/sec sure would be interesting. :oops:

The 22-243AI should get you over 5,000 ft/sec with a 30gr bullet and Varget or RE15. It's an interesting idea but I can't imagine what it would be used for. I considered it for awhile but figured it would result in a significant reduction in throat life; but who knows?

Now that Hammer has released their AH bullets, it's possible that you could get even higher velocity with a little careful load experimentation. 6,000 ft/sec sure would be interesting. :oops:
I'm gonna agree with your earlier post and say say straight 22-243, I've ran a Swift AI, Middlestead and a bunch of others, IMO the gain you get doesn't outweigh all the brass prep and dies, with that being said I enjoyed all of them

I'm gonna agree with your earlier post and say say straight 22-243, I've ran a Swift AI, Middlestead and a bunch of others, IMO the gain you get doesn't outweigh all the brass prep and dies, with that being said I enjoyed all of them
I started out my experimenting with a old 22-250, that I had the chamber chased out on. I fire formed enough brass to do three ladder tests. I initially tried shooting the 35gr V-max over CFE223. I quickly learned that the vmax exploded at 43 yards. plus my way of thinking was that if I was getting a huge fireball like I did, then I needed a faster burning powder. I then switched to RE-15 so I could get more burn in the 24" barrel I'm using. I also switched to the Hammer and LeHigh slugs. both slugs stayed together but the speed topped out at 4,550 +-. After bringing the rifle home and deep cleaning the barrel I found major pitting. So I'm back to the drawing board as to what caliber to switch the gun to so I can achieve the speed I want.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.PNG
    IMG_0497.PNG
    255.4 KB · Views: 71

your right there really is no use for a rifle like that. I'm just like doing things that are out of the norm. After building my 243AI and shooting 55gr slugs at 4,000 I got hooked on seeing how fast I could make a bullet go. the thought of making a bullet go a mile a second is appealing to me. I had a old 22-250 that I didn't use leaning on the gun rack for a donor action.

your right there really is no use for a rifle like that. I'm just like doing things that are out of the norm. After building my 243AI and shooting 55gr slugs at 4,000 I got hooked on seeing how fast I could make a bullet go. the thought of making a bullet go a mile a second is appealing to me. I had a old 22-250 that I didn't use leaning on the gun rack for a donor action.
I did the same thing with the Middlestead, It got exciting

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.