210 Berger, 300RUM, H-50BMG

jmden

210 Berger, 300RUM, H-50BMG:

Anyone tried this combo? Any data?

Searched a bit and couldn't come up with anything. My guess is the powder is too slow/can't stuff enough in the case, but thought I'd ask if others have tried it.

Anyone with Quickload willing to check this out for me?

Thanks,

Jon

I haven't used H-50BMG with the 210 Berger but I am using H-US869 which I believe is a bit slower.

Currently using 101.1gr of 869 and getting 3,150-3,175 ft/sec with sub .5moa @ 200 yds. The H-US869 is a ball powder and the big RUM case will hold even more than 101.1gr without compressing the charge. Pressure appears to be low. I haven't tried a heavier charge and probably won't bother to since I'm not looking to push the 210's any faster..

I have not used the 210 and H50BMG but I have used the 208 AMAX over H50BMG. I was using 93.0 Grains at 2975 FPS. Accuracy was awesome. The barrel was on the fast side, so you may need more powder to get the speed, but I would still start lower and work up. There was absolutely no pressure issues with this load. It would be hard to get enough H50BMG in a 300 RUM case to see high pressures, but with the right chamber and bore demensions it is possible so start low and work up.

Just a follow up here. Not done with load development by any means, but after purchasing 3 new 1lb jugs of H-50BMG and loading 210 Bergers to ~ .010 off the lands (gives me about a 3.87 COL--nice to have the 4" Wyatts box), I found that I was consistently getting 1" (2 shot groups, albeit-just working up to pressure signs this first time with the 210s) or smaller groups at 200yds in a bit of wind. One group went .25 or .3 MOA at 200yds. Mind you this barrel has about 1200 rds through it at this point. Still seems fairly accurate.

I bought the new powder because I had the impression that a 4-5 year old jug I had was significantly slower and wanted to use new jugs from the same lot. I watched the owner of Kesselring's take these jugs out of a brand new box holding 1 lb. jugs.

98-102g seems to be the most consistent area to work closer with.

Not sure on speed as it was raining and the range I was at doesn't allow you to use your own chrono and theirs was not working.

Case is pretty full, but with this bullet seated out as far as it is (boat tail/bearing surface junction just a bit below the neck/shoulder case junction), and a little tapping on the case to settle the powder, I didn't get any 'crunching' at all until 104g. Just an fyi.

Pressure signs (cratered primer only--dont' think I ever saw (even at 106g) ejector pin marks) with primers starting to crater a bit at around 100g or so.

Well...100.5g was producing sub .5 MOA groups at 200yds in a bit of wind (factory barrel with 1200 rds or so through it), but my speed was high 2800's. Live and learn. Even 104g was barely 3K fps. Odd thing is that by the look of the primers, I would've thought I was getting more speed than that. I believe that at above 102g or thereabouts, I 'pressured out' before getting the velocity that I would hope for. Just what appears to be my experience. Hope this helps someone. Jon

Jmden,

Did you install the "4 wyatts box your self and how much did it cost?
I'm a little off topic here hope you don't mind:)

Thanks bigbuck

Jmden,

Did you install the "4 wyatts box your self and how much did it cost?
I'm a little off topic here hope you don't mind:)

Thanks bigbuck

Yep, did it myself with a dremel tool. In retrospect, would definitely have a smith do it. That being said, all is working well in in that action at the moment...

Using the load development process outlined by Jerry Teo in the recent article, it looks like I'll be going with about 94.5g Retumbo and the 210 Berger at about 3050fps. Found a nice node there with very little vertical dispersion. Need to do a bit more testing, but looks pretty promising. Process went almost exactly like the article states it would, BTW. Clocking, nodes (94.5g is right in the second node), football groups...sure seems like I clearly saw all that in the process.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.