208 Amax vs 225 BTHP in 300 Win Mag

When I originally set out I wanted to shoot the amax, but with powder being so hard to find I only had a supply of h1000 which doesn't seem to agree with the amax in my rifle. The 225's shoot so well and now that I am getting around that 2800 rps range I will probably just stick with them.

I know A LOT of guys get caught up on muzzle velocity and I agree that it is VERY important but I agree that the fellow that said "shoot what your gun likes"..... I believe that it is the most important.
Also, have you ran the numbers? I bet that your 225 passes your 208 at somewhere around 850 yds. with the velocity you posted (in fps) and the extra weight would give the extra energy on target.
Some of the guys suggested that you could change your bullet and/or powder. Have you thought about changing your case??? For me with some of my loads on my 300wm Federal brass gives me about 100 fps more than my Norma brass. The thicker walled brass will raise your pressure so take caution.
Good luck.

I know A LOT of guys get caught up on muzzle velocity and I agree that it is VERY important but I agree that the fellow that said "shoot what your gun likes"..... I believe that it is the most important.
Also, have you ran the numbers? I bet that your 225 passes your 208 at somewhere around 850 yds. with the velocity you posted (in fps) and the extra weight would give the extra energy on target.
Some of the guys suggested that you could change your bullet and/or powder. Have you thought about changing your case??? For me with some of my loads on my 300wm Federal brass gives me about 100 fps more than my Norma brass. The thicker walled brass will raise your pressure so take caution.
Good luck.

When I compared the 208's with my old load of 74gr of H1000 with the 225's, the 208's actually had more energy at distance. However, since I bumped it up to 75.5gr the 225's are king. I just prepped a bunch of federal brass to try out and see if there is any difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.