204. Ruger vs 20 vartarg

matt_3479

In a little bit of dilemma here gentleman. I currently own a Remington 700 vssf-II in 204. Ruger that I got at a pretty good price. I also own a semi custom 20 tactical on a Remington 700 action. My favourite gun store (I'm an ex-employee) currently has a cooper 51 Phoenix in 20 vartarg with redding competition dies for sale. Now at the moment I can't afford to purchase the rifle out right and own all three. But would you sell the Remington 700 vssf-II (mint condition) for the cooper in 20 vartarg?

I don't know much about the vartarg. I know it's a little slower but still own the 20 tac. The 204 shoots good but I know the cooper will shoot better. I have redding died for my 20 tac but only Hornady for my 204. What would you do

I'd sell the .20 Tac to get the VarTarg. Doesn't make sense (to me) to have two wildcats; would keep at least one factory chambering for emergencies, such as component shortages.. Would also find the best-shooting factory .204R ammo and keep a few boxes around, just in case.

I'd sell the .20 Tac to get the VarTarg. Doesn't make sense (to me) to have two wildcats; would keep at least one factory chambering for emergencies, such as component shortages.. Would also find the best-shooting factory .204R ammo and keep a few boxes around, just in case.

The 20 tac was a lucky find and really would be dumb to sell it. The thing shoots increadibly well!! It's a Remington 700 shot action blue printed, in a Remington 700 vls stock and a 1:11 twist bartlein barrel, with a warne 20 Moa base, Burris extreme rings and a sightron sII 6-24x40mm scope all for under 500 dollars!! I just couldn't bring myself to let that go.

I'd send the .204 on down the road. Nothing wrong with having two wildcats. I have two .20 VT's and love them both. The Tac20 comes close to matching the .204 for speed. Not to mention the Coopers are pretty sweet:D My 2 cents.

-Mike

I'd send the .204 on down the road. Nothing wrong with having two wildcats. I have two .20 VT's and love them both. The Tac20 comes close to matching the .204 for speed. Not to mention the Coopers are pretty sweet:D My 2 cents.

-Mike

But you are okay with a single shot as a back up rifle? That's the pill I'm having a hard time swallowing

It's hard to say no to a Cooper isn't it? :D It's really a point of personal preference, the single slinger isn't everyone's cup of tea however; they aren't as bad as you'd think.

The Cooper IS going to be a nicer rifle for fit/finish/resale value and it's more than likely going to shoot better. Sounds to me like you're trading up.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.