204 vs 17FB

Greywolf18

I was looking into getting a med range varmint rifle. I already have a 17HMR, 22LR for short and then a .223 for longer range. I was looking into a good bolt action for 300-400 range. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the .204 or the new 17 Rem Fireball. I was just wondering if anyone had done a test on a side by side comparison between the two? Has anyone shot both? If so, which do you prefer? I know both are low recoiling, but I want to see impact on my varmint rigs so can you do that with both these rifles? I'm just getting started reloading so I prolly wouldn't reload them for awhile so I'd be using factory ammo to start out with. The main prey would be prairie dogs.

Check out 6mmbr.com. They have some pretty good articles on the two above mentioned calibers. I enjoy there site for some pretty solid information.

Respectfully,
jk

I have shot both and I own a 17 fireball. I chronied some 20 gr Rem factory at 4016 fps. I just reloaded some more rounds last night, some 20 gr V-maxs for small varmit and some 25 gr Bergers for yotes. I have poped many P dogs with the 20 v-maxes and you will like what you see through your scope. My rifle is just a used cheap factory 700 varmit with the 26" heavy barrel. On a calm day 300 yard P dogs are easy. I really like this rifle and it has zero recoil.

Jeff

****, the rifle looks sweet, but unfortunately way out of my price range. I'm just looking around right now and am looking prolly at the Remmy 700 varmint or the Savage. I'm trying to save up for a custom rifle turning my old beat up 30-06 into a 6.5x284:D Just starting to look now so if BO signs the order I'll have the info and made up my mind and rush out to order it before the law comes into effect lol

****, the rifle looks sweet, but unfortunately way out of my price range. I'm just looking around right now and am looking prolly at the Remmy 700 varmint or the Savage. I'm trying to save up for a custom rifle turning my old beat up 30-06 into a 6.5x284:D Just starting to look now so if BO signs the order I'll have the info and made up my mind and rush out to order it before the law comes into effect lol

don't forget cooper rifles, they make some great products

Greywolf: I own both calibers and have Hunted Varmints quite a bit to date with them.
I now shoot 5 Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger and one Varminter in 17 Remington Fireball.
In addition I had a custom Varminter made in caliber 17 MachIV (which is the identical twin to the 17 Remington Fireball) 13 years ago.
I love BOTH calibers!
I have Hunted lots of Prairie Dogs with both calibers.
My newish 17 Remington Fireball Rifle is a splendidly accurate Remington 700 VSF. It shot Remington factory ammunition VERY well indeed!
My first two groups (each 5 shots at 100 yards) with my new 17 Fireball and factory ammunition measured .533" and .586"!
All five of my Varminters in 204 Ruger shot Hornady factory ammunition very well also!
This is an unusual set of circumstances by the way.
If I had to choose ONE caliber for my Prairie Dog Hunting it would be the 204 Ruger over the 17 Remington Fireball - by a single Badgers hair!
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If you get a varmint-style gun, watching POI should not be a problem. As a matter of fact, I have a 22-250 that I can watch POI.

Good Luck.

I have a real nice Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .204 and it shoots flatter and farther then my dads .223. So if you go with the .204...you might find that the .223 is your med range rifle and the .204 is your long range shooter like bowhunthard stated. So i say go with the .204 so you can extend the ranges your already shooting! gun)

+1 For the 204 rem 700 sps. I just bought one and sold my Kimber pro varmit in 204. It was just too light to shoot well. The SPS was $500 and shoots 1/2 inch out of the box. I reload aslo but the good Federal 39 gr seirra blitz kings are only $17-19 a box. Never had a 17 but I know the 204 will buck wind better than a 22 cal.

Good luck!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.