.204 Ruger for Coyotes, what is your opinion?

My daughter shoots her 204 in either a tikka or a AR15 depending on what she wants to carry that day. We shoot alot of coyotes primarily in prime fur so we can sell them. She made enough her first year with the tikka to buy everything to build her AR. 99%+ of our shots are inside 300 yards tho. 24Gr NXT super performance is all she shoot in her tikka she shoots 32Gr in her AR. We sold over 100 pelts this spring. If you keep your shots a decent ranges it is a great round. Im not telling you to not take a 500 yard shot but pick it carefully and play the wind... Good luck and kill lots of coyotes.
Billy

What I have been researching most of the coyote hunters recommend 35 & 40 grain Berger and the 39 grain SBK. Seems "some" have had entry blow ups on the 32 Vmax in the shoulder area....I was wondering will the CZ 527 varmint with 1 in 12 twist stabilize the 39-40 grain bullets?? Thanks for every ones input very interesting reading peoples experience's.........

Bullet selection is important with this caliber. I built a 20-223 Improved (also have a 17-223 Improved), but have had a couple 204s. Why I went this route is a different topic.

You will get a lot of opinions when it comes to the poly tipped bullets on coyotes. I won't use them other than PDs. Check out the BiB 40gr HP.

If your not building, your options for a fast twist are nil. I used James Calhoun DHPs with a 1-12" and had excellent results but wanted a faster twist to reap the benefits of the heavier bullets.

With the right combination of twist and bullet, the 20 cal is an excellent choice and very fur friendly.

When the wind is ripping, out comes the 22 Creedmoor.

I love my 204. It's a cz 527 American. The trigger on it is awesome. It's a set trigger. The only thing I don't like about it is the safety. It's backwards but not a deal breaker. 204 shoots like a lightning bolt, but does drift a little at longer distances. Like I already said I love my 204 but if I could start over I would of picked up the same rifle in 223. I have to many off the wall calibers

Been looking at a cartridge for coyotes here in Mondamtana, in the past I have used a 22-250 and they are a great gun with 50 grain V-max, exits at times. Just looking at a pelt gun, already have a .17WSM rimfire, just looking at a 0-500 yard calling gun. What has been your experiences with it and what bullet do you prefer that stays in a coyote most times? Right now I use a 6.5 creedmoor as I have not been picking them up (its a little messy, but....have made shots out to 860 yards :) ) but am entertaining the thought of a .204 as pelts can be worth $100 on a good one...............we deal with some wind and distance out here. Most large males are 35-40 # nothing like those eastern monsters... :)
204 is awesome with some 40gr Vmax bullets. I hunt in Idaho and Wyoming and am often battling the wind, so I switched to a 6mm creedmoor a couple years ago. But the 40gr vmax out of a 204 was better than the 53gr vmax out of a 220 swift for me.

4A5E5EAB-006C-47BA-A61B-61E46C94EB6D.png

I've shot a pretty fair pile of coyotes with the .204. A .204 + 35 grain Berger= fur magic. BUT, it WILL blow around in the wind and 400 yards is stretching the limits IME. I've killed them at that range, but it's less than decisive. It's hard to do everything well especially walking the fine line of staying inside a coyote.

The bad press on the .204 is more than likely due to using 32 grain tipped bullets. A broadside shot will poleaxe them but a shoulder shot may splash. Your coyotes are slightly heavier than ours and your fur may be heavier as well. If your rifle will handle a 40 grain Berger, it will probably work a better on both wind and distance, but it will likely take a 1:10 to shoot it. I only shoot a 39 BK on colony varmints but Berger is still my go-to for fur.

Good luck!

Tim Titus

My daughter shoots her 204 in either a tikka or a AR15 depending on what she wants to carry that day. We shoot alot of coyotes primarily in prime fur so we can sell them. She made enough her first year with the tikka to buy everything to build her AR. 99%+ of our shots are inside 300 yards tho. 24Gr NXT super performance is all she shoot in her tikka she shoots 32Gr in her AR. We sold over 100 pelts this spring. If you keep your shots a decent ranges it is a great round. Im not telling you to not take a 500 yard shot but pick it carefully and play the wind... Good luck and kill lots of coyotes.
Billy
This guy should win dad of the year award! Nice job taking your daughter out there!

Billy
That 24 gr NTX is my favorite out to 300 yards,a fairly long shot in my area,or any area,3 football fields. I've never had one not bang flop with that round,a 200 yard zero still puts you on the vitals @ 300 ,with a negligible 4inch drop.

Have a Rem sfII in 204 shot the 32 gr v max. Lost every chest shot coyote with it. Broadside was ok. Good cat gun. I bet if I slowed it down it would of acted better just my experience.

Is that because you believe the bullets were only splashing on the chest shots?