200gr accubond? instead of unavailable 210 bergers

backyardsniper

I would like to hear from anybody that has done any elk killing with 200gr accubonds. I'm about to start my load development for this years LRH group elk hunt. I have the brass in the tumbler right now. I have about 900 208 amax bullets on hand and I had thought about using them but i hear a lot of people say they are a little fragile for elk so I was going to look into the berger 210 which I have used before with good success on smaller stuff around home but they are hard to find right now and midwayusa has 200 gr accubonds in stock. I have heard good things on here about them but I thought I would check with yall one more time. Going to be running them from a 300 win mag. For those of you that read the 30-378 post I splashed that Idea. I'm gonna run what I got, i got a bad case of "the next best thing" there for a minute with the 30-378 idea, but I do have a set of dies now so I may get one eventually.

Personally with many many elk killed with a 300 win, and documented posted results I will add. If there was any way you could get some 215 Bergers that is what I would use. I am an avid 300 win shooter and hunter. The 215 has wings and is totally awesome in a 300 win. This bullet gave new life to an already great elk rifle that use to shoot 210 HVLD's. That is if you are looking for a true long range hunting bullet that will take elk with great results both near and far. Just my opinion after taking 22 big game animals consecutively with 1 shot kills and not one having to be tracked. Many of which were elk.

I hear Berger will be running the 215's very soon.

Jeff

The 215 is what I really want but they have been non existent for a while. Can those be loaded to magazine length in say an AICS magazine. Id I needed to run them single shot I could I guess it isn't really a big deal. If you happen to know where a man might pick up a few of those please shoot me a pm. I have a lot of other bullets I can trade in the 30 cal and 338 size plus some of that green stuff that everybody likes.

I can not tell you if they will fit in your mag. That is dependent on reamer and box length of your rifle. I can tell you they fit in my BDL style mag box and feed seated -.040" off the lands of a Tactical match reamer.

There was 3000 of them sold on here about a week ago in lots of 500. And as I said Berger is to be running them soon so some should show up. It is my opinion they are worth digging for if you want all the performance from a 300 win.

Jeff

I have confidence in the 200 Accubond to the 600 yard mark. Past that I can't say. Using Nosler's .588 BC and expansion threshold of 1800 fps, plugged into the ballistic calculator at the top of the page that's about 800 yards. I plugged in 2900 fps muzzle velocity as that's what I have typically got in 26 inch barrels. I think both the BC, and that velocity threshold are generous

The Accubond "Long Range" remains largely unvalidated.

Long way around the barn, but I agree with Broz, if you are seriously looking at LR elk, try a little harder and longer to find the Berger 215. Elk season is a ways off yet, don't let it keep you off the range, use the Accubonds for now to develop your plan B.

I've shot a decent number of animals from 200 to 700 yards with the 200AB, I have no complaints. The one elk I shot with them was the longest range animal and took 3 in the lungs and took 5 minutes to fall over, but the post mortem indicated that it was not for lack of expansion of the bullet. Plenty of damage I just didn't break the bone structure. Three deer shot in the 500-600 yard range, incredible damage. Animals 400 yards and under, I can't imagine what more you could expect from any bullet.

It's one of the few bullets I trust across the full range of distances. But I don't try to push the 300WM past 800 yards on game either.

Here is what 3 exit holes look like using 200 grain AB's on a Shirus Moose at 474 yards look like. Have shot several elk between 50 and 250 yards with them and the 200 g Accubonds performed perfectly every time. I would feel better with a Berger at 700 plus yards though.

Attachments

• exit hole.jpg
    exit hole.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.