200gr. Accubonds

Tell me about them. The good, the bad, and the ugly. For elk and mule deer. Thanks
Are you talking about the 200 grain 0.308, 0.323, or 0.338? I've not shot an animal with any AccuBond, but they are about the most commonly praised/suggested bullet for "all around" performance.

The good = Very tough, easy to develop accurate loads in most rifles.

The "bad/ugly" = Their price is outrageous, the B.C. is mediocre at best, and there are some reports that they are a bit too tough for low velocity expansion at longer ranges.

I've used the 200 gr in 300 WM, and the 140 is my go to bullet in my 270 Win, as it won't shoot anything else I've tried very accurately. Both rifles shoot them very well and didn't involve much load development.

Only loaded them for one of my 300RUM's, but they were easy to dial in a good group/load. Expansion has been good, but I would keep the velocity up and use in a magnum for extended ranges.

I do not use them for deer.

First experience I ever had with them was when they first came out and it was honestly the last time I shot factory ammo . But either way whitetail buck first morning of season at 40 yards 180 gr accubonds from the 300 win mag and a quite long tracking job . Shot was good 2 inches behind shoulder during autopsy found that as luck would have it went in between two ribs and out between two ribs . Exit hole was just a touch bigger than entrance. I believe the reason that this took place was due to extremely close range and nothing beside soft tissue was hit. I've since used accubonds in every thing from 6.5 -338 calibers and never experienced that result since. They shoot great and kill game as dead as anything else with good shot placement

Nosler suggests 1800 fps as the minimum velocity for reliable expansion. If your ballistics table says you are below that, at your max range then you might not be happy with this bullet. I shot a buck at 605yds with a .270win 150gr Accubond. The velocity was down according to the ballistics table but the deer dropped where it stood. Bullet placement is key.

Tell me about them. The good, the bad, and the ugly. For elk and mule deer. Thanks

I have taken two good size Quebec bull moose with the 200 Accubond loaded to 3000fps in a 300 Dakota, They have been good bullets for this size game, one recovery only, excellent performance, perfect mushroom.
These bullets expand, penetrate and stay together while being very accurate.
BB

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.