2006 Lope

Takman

100_0005.jpg
Finally, I figured out how to post pic. Now the detail. Went to Wyoming for first antelope hunt. Had a blast. This is also my longest kill to date, 656 yards. first morning out three of us set out in windy conditions(so what's new in Wyoming) and within first hour bump into 3 lopes, one a buck. We glass him over and decide he is a shooter.(My first antelope hunt and I am relying on my partners judgement who have been there done that. Also I had modest expectations and wanted what in my eyes is a representative of the species.) We move to our left at the advice of my spotter, so that we are facing directly into the wind.(Worked out perfect for the shot.)We crawl 30 yards out onto bluff and I drop pack and spotter and I range at 450yds. As I set up buck starts to feed away, 500,550,600 and finally at 656yds stops and quarters away. I put crosshair behind the back rib and about halfway up the animal, check clicks, and touch the 300RUM off. Spotter thinks I missed high as there is dust behind the animal, but he only takes a few steps and starts the I'm headed to the freezer dance and drops stone dead. The 180 BT hit right behind the back rib where I aimed and exited the far shoulder. Lungs were wiped out. Had just as much fun spotting for my two buddies and setting up the next three days.

Rem 700 trued and factory trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs. 26" 1-12 twist #4 Hart barrel bedded to a McMillan sporter 50% forest, 25% black, 25% white swirl. Factory bottom metal. Barrel bead blasted snakeskin.

Takman,

Congratulations on a nice goat and shot. Thanks for the story and picture. Nice looking rifle too. What part of WY were you hunting?

JD338

Tak , you the man ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We move to our left at the advice of my spotter, so that we are facing directly into the wind.(Worked out perfect for the shot.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also that was very good advice from your spotter.

Nice goat , great shot and even better you had a blast . Did you try to buy some leftover doe tags ( 29 dollars each ) so you could do it again before you had to come home ?

Jim B

We were headed to Colorado after the three days and my one buddy was having a little trouble getting on one. We were in southeast Wyoming. I will be back to Wyoming to chase those speedsters again.

Brian, One of the most relaxing hunts I have been on. Give it a whirl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.