200 yard 338 group

Timmyatneb

Hi everone shot my 338 edge today. Grouping at 100 yards is not the best. Grouping at 250 is 1.5 inches center of the farthest shot to center of the other farthest shot in the grouping. 6 shot group 16 fps extreme spread. Iam supper happy with that number. I tried 5 different primers in the same load of 89.5 grains h1000. I guess primers do make a huge difference. Cci250- and fed 215 were the best. Didn't have any luck with rem 91/2 magnum of 215 match. Why will this gun not group good at 100. Is it the bullets of what? Trief lots of berger 300 hybrids didn,t group at all. Nomatter how close or far they were from the lands. Why will it shoot sierra good at 250and bergers 6 inches best group at 250. This seem very strange. Guess its sierra all the way. Any suggestions to . Mabey this is as good as it will get. i sure would think it could group better at 100 but i guess its proubly not a 100 yard gun anyway. Any ideas? Or call it good its neen a long process and iam frustrated enough.

The only time I shoot at 100 is chrono shooting a ladder. I never shoot for a group under 200y. The long high bc bullets need that extra distance to 'go to sleep'. Hard to explain, but the bullet will leave the muzzle with some oscillation that the spin will overcome. Group doesn't get any smaller as you go further down range but the moa does. Sounds like you have a very good load going.

Steve

Yea iam pretty happy with it. A guy a work told me i need to try retumbo. I just dont see it doing any better. He has a 338 rum and said retumbo is better in his.

If you have the velocity that you are after and more importantly the accuracy....don't change it.

Steve

Do you think a 500 yard test in good conditions would mabey be the way to check accuracy. Would that be better than 250 yards?

I was using 93 gr h1000 pushing a 300 gr berger with cci primers. At 100 5 shots touching. At 300 5 shots under an inch. Seemed the faster I shot em the better my velocity spread and tighter my groups were. My velocity spread was in the single digits. I had a 31.5" barrel.

Thats sounds awsome. But i dont know how long my brass would last i think that would be a high pressure load in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.