Are you settling on this 100 yard group?

Huntnful

I've been playing with my .28 nosler trying to ramp up some speeds. I've been testing out the 180 VLD. Just having fun ya know. I hit slight pressure at 87gr of N570 and 3200 FPS. I was hoping for 3200, so I was happy there. ES of 10fps. Here's a 9 shot group I just shot. Maybe 1-2 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool, but not get cold. The flyers on the left were shot #4 & #7 I think. The target is in 1" grids. Just curious how others feel about this group and if you would stop there or keep tinkering? Maybe the flyers are me? Maybe not, considering where the other 7 landed. Something to consider also. I've played with seating depth and this is tightest I've gotten also. Appreciate the responses and your reasonings! No right answers, just looking to hear how other people view things. 1200 yard steel rifle and 800 yards is my personal limit for game.

28 Nosler 26" 1-8 twist
ADG brass & 215M
87gr N570
Berger 180 VLD Hunt
3200 FPS
ES of 10. SD of 4.
6EF830D4-D7B2-4152-91A7-2E2AD9226D4E.jpeg

I think I would give this load a try at distance and make sure it is good to go, but I'd say there's a good chance you have a winner.
Thanks for your input! What would you consider distance? And would you print another 10ish round group for verification, or something different?

That's my problem with measuring groups....I never know if I was the cause for the good or the bad.
100% agreed. That's why I mentioned it, because that's exactly how my mind thinks. Every shot "felt good", but was it? "That's a lot of shots touching, but that flyer is 1 MOA off. Could that really be me?" "That's a wounded animal at 800 yards" Ect, Ect. lol.

Thanks for your input! What would you consider distance? And would you print another 10ish round group for verification, or something different?
I would at least stretch it out to 800. I personally would just do 3 shot groups. Some people would probably disagree with that and say minimum 5 shot, but you've already determined that your velocity is consistent over 10 shots. And with the ammunition and component situation we're in right now, no need to waste more than you have to.

I'd bet that if you dropped the powder charge down to around 82 grains you'd see even tighter groups.
There is no bet. You're right haha. 83gr put me at 3040-3050 FPS and tighter groups. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too haha. But i've heard there's a node around 3200fps also?
I would at least stretch it out to 800. I personally would just do 3 shot groups. Some people would probably disagree with that and say minimum 5 shot, but you've already determined that your velocity is consistent over 10 shots. And with the ammunition and component situation we're in right now, no need to waste more than you have to.
Sounds good! May go this route 👍 .

Agree. Shoot it out long and see what it will do

I think you have a good group to start testing at distance. You might shoot a three shot group to verify zero and see what it looks like. I agree with what another commentator said if you drop to 82 grains it may tighten up even more. Extreme speed obtained by higher pressure is often the enemy of accuracy. That is still a good group it looks to be close to moa. The entire group is fading left which means you maybe slapping/jerking the trigger just a bit. If the group was vertical or more spread out around the point of aim I would say it was the ammo but it looks pretty consistent to me, left fade and all.

I think you have a good group to start testing at distance. You might shoot a three shot group to verify zero and see what it looks like. I agree with what another commentator said if you drop to 82 grains it may tighten up even more. Extreme speed obtained by higher pressure is often the enemy of accuracy. That is still a good group it looks to be close to moa. The entire group is fading left which means you maybe slapping/jerking the trigger just a bit. If the group was vertical or more spread out around the point of aim I would say it was the ammo but it looks pretty consistent to me, left fade and all.
Thank you for the input!! I know I'm treading a fine line with speed/pressure and accuracy for sure. But the ES and SD's are soooo good up there too haha. And thank you for mentioning the trigger control as well. I do notice on some shots, my recoil takes me further left off the target than others. Right handed shooter.

Is this off bags or a lead sled? What was the position of the rifle butt against your shoulder? Did you wrap your thumb over the pistol grip. It looks like a torque thing to me....shoot 3 shot groups at 300 and 600 and you'll have your answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.