$200 vortex vs Zeiss for hunting

socalhunter

Hi guys I wanted your valuable input on Cameraland having a special for brand new vortex Viper 2-7 x32 v-plex vs a Zeiss Conquest of Lepould Vx III. I like the price obviously plus the life time warranty( with the Caveat of course if the company went bankrupt TS for me) and the power setting 2-7 seems ideal for close range pixs up to 4oo yards elk maybe up to 500 yards? I could spend say $300 more and get the other two brands which are fine brands but with 3 kids and a not so understanding wife ( who of course is always right:rolleyes:) Would I really get a bigger bang for the buck with a Zeiss or a Leupy? The scope will most likely sit on a Savage or Tikka. I have poured ov er which of the two above rifle brands is better and I just get a headache.

Thanks;
Socalhunter

Ask the guys what kind of deal they could give you on a demo Minox ZA5 2-10x40 or a 1.5-8x32. You'll get Conquest quality glass for not much more than the Viper costs.

As for Savage vs Tikka, I would go with the latter. If you have Cabela's near by, they are having a sale on Sako A7's for $649.

Thanks Sami,
Good idea. There are no Cabelas in the golden state although we now have two Basspros. I will call cabellas and see if they would ship an A7 to a FFL dealer in Cal.

Socalhunter

I have a couple of Vortex scopes, a couple of Zeiss scopes and a couple of Leupold scopes.

One Leupold is currently going back to the factory as it won't keep its zero. Generally I love the glass, clarity and eye relief but their recent record is spotty.

The Vortex are great for the money, but I would personally never get less than a 40mm objective, preferably 44 or more, if shooting anything past 150 or 200 yards. I've used Leupold 32mm scopes on my hunting partner's rimfires as well as his shotgun. I actually wouldn't use one on anything as the field of view is just too small for me. I like the Vortex Viper HS LR, and think it's a great scope for the money (about $500).

The only 2-7x40 I own is a Burris I've had on my semi-auto 30-06 for over 30 years (!) and I would not choose this power for longer range. Mix a 2-7 with a 32mm and I think you're in for a big disappointment.

The Zeiss scopes are better than the Vortex or the Leupold, but you'll pay more for them too. I have 4.5-14x44 and x50, and think they're worth what they cost.

PS. I'd buy the Savage.

Ask the guys what kind of deal they could give you on a demo Minox ZA5 2-10x40 or a 1.5-8x32. You'll get Conquest quality glass for not much more than the Viper costs.

As for Savage vs Tikka, I would go with the latter. If you have Cabela's near by, they are having a sale on Sako A7's for $649.

+1. General consensus is you get what you pay for but in my opinion the Minox is probably the best glass for the money. An A7 for $649 is a really good buy for a really great off the shelf rifle. Have a T3 and my neighbor has an A7 and both shoot in the .4's!

Well I continue to be impressed with the Vortex lines. At christmas I was a late shopper and wanted to get my son a set of Binos for Christmas. Vortex viper was the first choice. I go to the sports store and they were out of Vipers. So after comparing a set of Vortex Diamond backs to my Swaros I had with me I bought them. It was a poor day to campare as it was snowing. About a week ago we were out wolf hunting and compared them again in the field. My Swaro 8x30's to the Vortex Diamondback 10x42's. I hate to admit it but the Vortex binos are just as clear as my swaros to both of our eyes. Yeah, a set of binos under $300 keeping up with a set that cost $1500 plus.

Another vote for the vortex and I have a few of their viper scopes too.

Jeff

i shoot a few of the vortex products and i'm really impressed with them, optically, the zeiss is a little nicer, but when you factor in the magnification range and the 30mm tube, it's close. i would try both and go with works best for you.

Thanks guys:) Tough choice with different opinions all valid though. I went to Cabelas website and saw no Sako A7s listed but I really should call them. They did have A-bolts listed for $650 which sounds good. Good points about the objective not being large enough for say shooting past 250 but it does seem to be a good scope for pigs on say a brush gun such has the Marlin 450.

Socalhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.