20” 300 PRC

Seems twisted....
Start with a 4570....powder to make the bullet leave the barrel needs to be slow burning 'if the barrel is long'.....say 24".....
What if it isn't a long barrel...what if it is a 16" barreled lever action....would faster powder not push that bullet out at a speed that could achieve the 24" speed...
Or is it creating a bomb.....
I have used rl17 in a 7wsm and in 2506....completely different brass...
Both about same barrel lenght and both increased speeds tremendously.....no fancy barrels...standard loads...standard primers for brass.....
Not being smartalick.....just thinking something got twisted here....

Seems twisted....
Start with a 4570....powder to make the bullet leave the barrel needs to be slow burning 'if the barrel is long'.....say 24".....
What if it isn't a long barrel...what if it is a 16" barreled lever action....would faster powder not push that bullet out at a speed that could achieve the 24" speed...
Or is it creating a bomb.....
I have used rl17 in a 7wsm and in 2506....completely different brass...
Both about same barrel lenght and both increased speeds tremendously.....no fancy barrels...standard loads...standard primers for brass.....
Not being smartalick.....just thinking something got twisted here....
I guess I made something hard to understand. Length of barrel has nothing to do with the right powder. Whatever powder gives the best speed with a long barrel will also give the best speed with a short barrel. Pressure curve versus time. Just with a short barrel you lose the last part of the curve. But to answer you cannot load a faster burning powder in a short barrel to equal a slower powder in a longer barrel. As you said creating a bomb. And I did not say a 45/70 needed a slower powder for a longer barrel. Maybe you saw where I was talking about expansion ratios. That also has nothing to do with barrel length. To make it simple; (A short barrel cannot equal a longer barrel for speed) IMPOSSIBLE

"Whatever powder gives the best speed with a long barrel will also give the best speed with a short barrel."

I think this is the statement that conflicts...
because the longer barrel needs the slower powder to keep pushing the bullet at fastest speed to achieve the fastest speed....
The shorter barrel with faster burning powder can get that bullet to the speed of the longer barrel....
Like I said....twisted....well...maybe in my head.......not any others

"Whatever powder gives the best speed with a long barrel will also give the best speed with a short barrel."

I think this is the statement that conflicts...
because the longer barrel needs the slower powder to keep pushing the bullet at fastest speed to achieve the fastest speed....
The shorter barrel with faster burning powder can get that bullet to the speed of the longer barrel....
Like I said....twisted....well...maybe in my head.......not any others
Whoever said that did not know what they were talking about. Maybe the guys at Sierra can get your world back on course.

SubMOAinthesheets
I personally have and use a 30 nosler 20" 10 twist running a thunderbeast Ultra 9 CAN i settled on two bullet combos for different applications that were extremely accurate and one gr below max in a fired case!
all rounds fired with adg brass and cci250 primers
data collected on drops validated @ distance!!
215 berger 84gr retumbo 2815fps 1000 yard impact vel. 1790fps 1530ftlbs
215 berger 80.5gr RL26 2868 1000 yard impact vel. 1832fps 1603ftlbs
180 swift II 86gr RL26 3170fps 1000yd impact vel 1778fps 1263ftlbs
180 swift II 88gr retumbo 3086fps impact vel 1715fps 1176ftlbs.

FYI i went with retumbo loads for both bullets even though slower they gave me the lowest es and RL 26 gave me some pressure spikes out of now where on the same days in testing!! needless to say i dont use RL powders anymore 26 has done it to me on several occasions in different rifles!

Interesting. Were you right at the top when it gave the spikes?I know with double base high nitro powder when you hit the top you are there. A touch more and trouble. R17 has a rep for that.Everything fine and oh oh.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.