20” 300 PRC

I guess I am an old behind the times idiot to even ask. All those powders you listed are very slow burners that I have a lot of experience with as go fasts are what I like. And if all this powder is burned as you say why do you lose so much speed in a shorter barrel? Hmmmmm? God I am amazed our iowa class battleships did not have 10 foot barrels on them;)

Apparently this concept is rubbing you against the grain.

There's nothing new or magic about it. These are time tested and proven factors of these powders. Many shooters used these powders in short barreled rifles.

I had a customer with a brand new 2506 in a 700. Wanted me to cut it short for a can. I told him I do not recommend less than a 22 on a 2506. Nope I want it cut to 16. OK I learned a long time ago not to argue with the smartest guy in the room. I will not lose anything with the muffler on. OK budo_O When he came and git it we put it on the crono. 2780 with a 100 gr. Congratulations buddy. Now you have a new shiny quiet 250 savage. Then he was *Rule 4 Violation*ed off at me!!

Ok Tell us did he swallow hard and stay with 16.
Or did he acknowledge that he needs to go longer?

The loss of velocity is due to the lack of barrel length which has the plasma pushing against the bullet. The powder burns in a short space but the plasma generated by that powder continues push until the bullet exits the barrel.

This short to long argument has no legs. Many people smarter than me have tested it. They started with a long barrel and cut an inch off at a time. There is a direct correlation between barrel length and speed. There is no magic powder that will allow a shorter barrel to perform like a longer barrel.Whatever powder gives the best speed in a longer barrel will give the best speed all down the line.

The loss of velocity is due to the lack of barrel length which has the plasma pushing against the bullet. The powder burns in a short space but the plasma generated by that powder continues push until the bullet exits the barrel.
You are correct. The powder does burn in a short space but length gives you time and speed for the pressure to keep pushing.

Expansion ratio is what dictates what powder performs best. Big case and small bore needs a slow burner. A 45/70 needs a fast burner to keep up with the quickly expanding area because of the bore being as fat as the casing.

David you should keep mouthing all those platitudes and digging your heels in. I'm all for it because I support the idea of different opinions. But you need to do some catching up.;)

Have a great day!:D

In no way do I expect my short 300 prc to not lose velocity compared to a long barrel in the same cartridge.

what I don't buy, that people always say is that a smaller cartridge will be even with it at less barrel length. I had someone recently tell me I might as well do a 308, yet to come even within a couple hundred fps projected in quick load they needed what a 30 inch barrel?

We will see, I'll let you all know if my prc can push a 215 over the sound barrier or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:eek:I'm even gonna try rl26 in it :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.