1cm clicks too much for long range hunting??

What if you change elevation?
Look in your info book you created.
Your zero at 100 yards is the baseline. Example your target is at 600 yards , again the example, you need 11 minutes of elevation, for 1 minute clicks = 11 clicks.
If you're referring to shooting on the incline,
up the side of a mountain add what you think you need, or subtract.

Hi guys,
Just bought my first dedicated long range rifle a Steyr Prohunter 300 win mag heavy barrel and a Zeiss 6-24 x 56 fl victory scope and am now wondering if i should have gone with a scope with 1/4" or .5cm clicks? The reason I'm thinking this now is cause I just ran a few mock loads through Stelok ballistic program and noticed that 1 click @ at 500 meters is "2 which seems a lot. Would it be worth getting Zeiss to change the scope to .5 cm per click? Any constructive comments would be much appreciated.
Cheers

500plus gun)
Additionally, environmental and any shot angle up or down would contribute to your dial, so there is just as much chance that the ballistic solution will land spot on. And if it doesn't, you can still hold slightly high or low depending on the situation. I wouldn't go through the hassle and expense at all.

If you get to know your rifle, your load, and your conditions well enough that the difference between say 1/4moa (1.25" aprox) and 1 CM (2" aprox), you will definately be among the elite.

1 cm per click at 100 meters is 5 cm per click at 500 meters, which is 1.8 inches per click at 500 yards. Worst case, your ranging calculation would tell you you are 1/2 way between clicks, which then is 0.9 inches at 500 yards, That's good enough not to worry about, in my opinion. The wind will probably be a much bigger variable at that distance, for example.

Hi guys,
Just bought my first dedicated long range rifle a Steyr Prohunter 300 win mag heavy barrel and a Zeiss 6-24 x 56 fl victory scope and am now wondering if i should have gone with a scope with 1/4" or .5cm clicks? The reason I'm thinking this now is cause I just ran a few mock loads through Stelok ballistic program and noticed that 1 click @ at 500 meters is "2 which seems a lot. Would it be worth getting Zeiss to change the scope to .5 cm per click? Any constructive comments would be much appreciated.
Cheers

500plus gun)
How did everything work out with your gun and scope, this was a post from a while back, you probably found out that as to Mils and MOA are close, forget about cm and think of all this in 10's , one click on a MOA is 1.25" at 500yd and one click on a Mil scope is 1.8" so what's all the cm about, not sure what you meant? And your looking to put the seed in a dime size hole ? I went to Mils in the military years ago and never went back to MOA

Always an interesting topic
What is interesting is that if someone wants to shoot at greater distance they need to first understand that MOA and MRAD have nothing to do with inches or centimeters beyond 100 yards or 100 Meters. Respectively. Neither system was created to work with either imperial or metric they work the same for yards or meters or whatever unit of measurement you measure distance to target with. The only time a click equals 1/4 inch or 1 cm is at 100 yards or Meters and doesn't really matter. The shooter should stop thinking in terms of inches or centimeters and only focus on measuring in either MOA or MRAD. For example, how many MOA or MRAD is the drop or drift at x distance …when zeroing at 100 yards think I need to adjust x MOA or MRAD using your reticle to measure!! Yes, that's all we need to consider. Reading and understanding a wind call for your rifle system is much more important than 1/4 MOA or .1 Mil elevation adjustment at distance beyond 400 yards than anything. I prefer MRAD first focal plane optics. MOA FFP optics are equally effective. Why do I prefer MRAD? Two reasons. First, Most of the buddies we shoot with hunting or at field matches shoot MRAD so spotting and communication is simpler. Second, there's a mathematical anomaly that exists with MRAD that makes calling wind between 300-1000 yards a little easier when measuring distance in yards. With a given bullet and velocity we can enter the known variables into a ballistic calculation… there's a few apps for this…. And discover a full mph wind value that lines up like this. 300 yards .3 mil drift 400 yards .4 mil drift 500 yards .5 mil drift… and so on out to 1000 yards 1.0 mil drift. Beyond that this relativity breaks down. It's called "gun number" or "mile per hour gun". A faster shooting high BC bullet like a 7mm shooting 195 EOL at 3000 fps has a high number like 9 or 10 mph and a slower low BC like a .308 win shooting 175 sierra match king at 2580 fps is 4 MPH. Basically it means an x mph wind will blow your bullet 1 mil at 1000 yards. So a 1/2x mile and hour wind at 556 yards will create a .2-.3 mil drift at that distance. Mind blown yet? lol here's a specific example: the mule deer I harvested this year was at 556 yards. My 6.5 156 EOL bullet @ 2760 FPS in a 7 mph wind is blown 1.0 mil at 1000 yards and .55 mil at 550. See the pattern? The wind was 6-8 MPH at 1/2 value (quartering) from my left. I don't use a kestrel btw, just learn this **** it's not that hard in winds less than 15 mph. Blowing harder than that? i choose not to take long shots in game. So I knew I had a .3-.4 mil left hold wind drift adjustment to make on the deer at 550 yards and the FFP reticle to measure I held .2 inside left edge of the vital zone, .3 was center and .4 was inside right edge. If the 7mph wind was directly from the left the hold would have been .4 left edge .5 center and .6 right edge of vital zone. Full value 14 mph wind? Double those holds or don't take that shot. Conclusion: 1/10 mil radian adjustments are perfect for long range hunting. No need for 1/20. Learn your load and how to read wind. That's how we make precise first round engagements. Most of all, know the limits of your rifle which includes you.

What if you change elevation?
The true affect is so minimal it does not matter in real world results. Set your dope at a mid range area and don't add more mind clutter. If the elevations you may be hunting is 2-8000 feet set it at 5K. My elevation I run my dope at is 5K on all my rifles and just leave it.

Wonder if the OP has it figured out by now 10+ years later?
I sure hope so.
1701445143314.png