Scope too much for gun?

ArmaHeavy

Hi guys,

I'm starting my first build. I'll tell you what I'm using, but what I really am seeking is insight on a scope in relation to the rifle's weight. Also, any other general info about components I've chosen is welcome too!

.338 RUM
Tooley Orion Action (Stiller Predator Xtreme) (waiting to hear back from Dave)
SS 26" contour 5, Benchmark barrel, fluted
McMillan A-3 sporter stock
Jewell trigger
KDF muzzle break

It's for general purpose hunting - Elk, deer, Alaskan game, and LR varmints.

As far as the weight of the gun, I'm not actively trying to find ways to shave ounces, but I'm using lighter components, like the A-3 Sporter as opposed to the A3, and a fluted bolt/barrel. I'd like the gun to be just what it's intended for, a manageable-weight, accurate hunting rifle. Not a benchrest gun, and not a sheep gun. I'm in my mid 20's and in very good shape, so an extra pound or two doesn't bother me if I'm hiking under 10 miles a day.

My question is this: By estimating the weight of the gun by looking at the components, will a 31 oz. scope (Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 50) make it feel top-heavy, or raise the center of gravity too much to easily handle on shooting sticks? Do I have enough weight in the barrel and stock to keep it feeling balanced?

Scope will be mounted as low as possible. No 20 MOA rail. I just don't need the extra hieght with 110 MOA internal adjustment on the scope and considering the ballistics of that round. I never intend to shoot past 1200, even at the range.

Sorry I don't have a weight for the gun! Thanks!!!

You will be fine because your 20. I am more than double that and look for ways to cut weight. But in LR,you have more gear, wind meter,lazer,calc system,angle finder,level, it all adds up.Plus the usual bino,knifes,lights,gps,etc.If I have everthing on wish list it is a 30# pack then rifle,adds up in rough country with age.You can go with a lighter scope ,etc. later and have a dedicated practice/ rig set up.

Welcome. I like to do things only one time, its cheaper. Put $500 more on the scope allowance and get one of these. I ran the test at dark and went with the Zeiss just for the German Glass. You may some day have a Trophy shot in the 1st or last min. of legal shooting time and you won't be sorry with either. Your 31OZ Nightforce may be just as good as the Zeiss or the S...ski but my Lupe VX III LR, 4.5-14x50_30mm tube B & C was not! See below post for details.
These are the weights of both I tested: And U could just about hunt in the dark with either $2,228.00!

Zeiss Victory Diavari 4-16x50_30mm.......25.06OZ

Swarovski-Z6 3-18x50_30mm ….......21 OZ

NF, Swaro, or Zeiss scopes, WWYB?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/looking-advice-2100-spend-first-scope-69896/#post487507

Good luck.

PS: If you beat the hell out or your EQ. better stay with the tank...I mean Abrams M1-A1_Nightforce.:rolleyes:

I don't think the extra weight of the NF will make a big difference in balance off shooting sticks. I personally have found the NF to be too heavy and bulky on my carry rifles, but like the scope on my heavier LR rigs. I have a Cooper with a #6, 26" fluted barrel that feels off balance to me with the NF but balances better with a MK4 or Huskemaw, all with similar magnification. The weight is 10.75#. In the end, I think that there will be trade offs trying to get a rifle that carries well, but at the same time is a perfect 1200 yard shooter. iMHO

Thanks for the food for thought, gentlemen. With the unbelievable durability, and lacking the coin to go any more expensive (Nightforce is already a stretch) I think I'll go with the NF.

I picture this to be a good 600, maybe 800 yard hunting rifle once I know the gun. But, that's not to say I wont sling some lead at 1000+ gongs at the range.

Thanks again,

Grab the NF, it should work just fine. If you decide that it isn't what you're looking for, you will lose very little in the resale dept. They retain their value very well (& for good reason). The lighter weight of the MK4 is very handy, but I can't stand the M1 dial on a pack rig (LR or BR is a different story).

Make sure to throw up a few pics of the complete rig, & good luck!

The lighter weight of the MK4 is very handy, but I can't stand the M1 dial on a pack rig

This is one of my complaints with the mK4 as well. That, and I hate all their reticles.

I'll put up pics, but it'll be months from now.

Thanks.

This is one of my complaints with the mK4 as well. That, and I hate all their reticles.

I'll put up pics, but it'll be months from now.

Thanks.

I have used or owned pretty much all of the "hunting" type reticles from Leupy, the B&C & VH reticle are every bit of useless to me. But I will say this, i've owned 2 of the TMR reticles & really like them.

Good luck with the build & keep us posted.

Good luck with the build & keep us posted.

Being new to the forum, where is the section that pretty much everybody checks? Guys tell me to keep them posted and post pics with the progress. What's the best section on this forum to do that?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.