1885 custom build

6mm06guy

I'm wanting to build an 1885 high wall in a long range custom rifle. Caliber is still undecided. My problem is finding an action. And a factory Winchester look like there running 2k. Hate to butcher a factory rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible action besides the baily actions. (I already talked to him and no center fire action at this time)

The 1885 just makes a beautiful rifle over all. And I would like to add several to my collection, including another 6mm-06.

I'm wanting to build an 1885 high wall in a long range custom rifle. Caliber is still undecided. My problem is finding an action. And a factory Winchester look like there running 2k. Hate to butcher a factory rifle. Does anyone have any suggestions on a possible action besides the baily actions. (I already talked to him and no center fire action at this time)

The 1885 just makes a beautiful rifle over all. And I would like to add several to my collection, including another 6mm-06.
Check with collector firearms in HoustonTexas ,they buy out estates and have about everything .

Are you wanting to build a heavy barreled 6-06? Reason I ask, I have a Browning B78 (1885 style with pistol grip) with beautiful wood, customized with a Lilja heavy octagon barrel. The cartridge probably wouldn't work for you... 338 based on the 300H&H cartridge... but a heavy octagon in a 6mm would be a fun Pdog or 'yote plinker. Pics if requested.

Are you wanting to build a heavy barreled 6-06? Reason I ask, I have a Browning B78 (1885 style with pistol grip) with beautiful wood, customized with a Lilja heavy octagon barrel. The cartridge probably wouldn't work for you... 338 based on the 300H&H cartridge... but a heavy octagon in a 6mm would be a fun Pdog or 'yote plinker. Pics if requested.
Pm sent

C sharps and MVA ( Montana Vintage Arms) both sell actions, not sure on their pressure rating but a ph call would likely solve that question. You can find furniture for them all over and in any grade you like. Cecil Fredi has some truly beautiful stocks!

or Winchester has some highwalls in 7RM, 6.5CM you could use as a base

C sharps and MVA ( Montana Vintage Arms) both sell actions, not sure on their pressure rating but a ph call would likely solve that question. You can find furniture for them all over and in any grade you like. Cecil Fredi has some truly beautiful stocks!

Thanks for sharing , brings back good memories. My Dad was a stock maker , cut his blanks and dried them on a smaller scale , I still have a few beautiful black walnut blanks , nice too see a young man with your interest .Gun stock work is becoming a lost art.

The problem with both actions is the metal there made of (8620) and only for rimmed actions. I'm having a hard time finding one that's for center fire other than browning and Winchester, and I hate to butcher one if there is a niche builder somewhere.

they do make a super rifle, mine was a shooter- sold it a few years back to cover medical bill's am sorry about that move . What about a Ruger #1 have a few of them and they are shooters- close to a high wall.

Last edited:
8620 is very close to 4140, and 4140 should be well strong enough for any action up to 50bmg, if its heat treated correctly. I know winchester made a 375H&H in their highwall so it must just be a extractor thing. I would call either place and tell them what you are planning to do. They may have an option for you?? Other than those 3 you are pretty SOL for that action, well unless you go to the Italian company's, but Id stay away for your intended purpose. FWIW, maybe winchester would sell a receiver??

If you do go with a MVA, I have a dozen of there sights and scopes\, there quality is 2nd to none

problem is, most want to put those receiver's in a cartridge of the era, not modern. Winchester is the only company to do so.

matt

Hmmm, I have an 1885 (could be a B78) Highwall in 223; it was for a project that has not happened. I also have a 6mm Remington barrel off a B78 (it became a 270 which I foolishly traded away). It (with barrel) might be available, I could send pictures next week (It's in Alaska, I'm currently in Arizona). Send a PM or some other way to talk without boring everyone.
Gordon

Hmmm, I have an 1885 (could be a B78) Highwall in 223; it was for a project that has not happened. I also have a 6mm Remington barrel off a B78 (it became a 270 which I foolishly traded away). It (with barrel) might be available, I could send pictures next week (It's in Alaska, I'm currently in Arizona). Send a PM or some other way to talk without boring everyone.
Gordon
It won't let me pm you.

Not directly addressing OP's search, but for anyone wanting a fine single shot rimmed case rifle, CPA Rifles also makes very nice custom rifles based on the Stevens 44-1/2 action.
https://www.cparifles.com/
sample:
CPA Rifles Sample.jpg

mine, in 7-30 Waters:
My CPA 7-30 Waters.jpg

Last edited: