1885 custom build

OP - that left hand 1885 is still in low 5s, although 6 days to go, so who knows where it will end up. Seller says action looks new. To me, it looks like plated with plating flaking off, but maybe just poor photography. Nice wood work on it. Being left-handed, it may generate less competitive interest. Or maybe even more interest from fewer, but determined, lefties. You never know......
219 Donaldson - I grew up hunting woodchucks with a Martini that my Dad built in that caliber, with Unertl scope. I still have it and cherish it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941203867

Have you been able to source brass recently? I've just picked up a R2 Lovell myself and am looking for some.
It is out there. I just bought all Huntingtons had last week (1 box). Or BACO, GB. Around $2.50 to $3 a case since Jamison went out of business. I have several hundred. Sure wish I'd bought a lot more before Jamison folded. I keep asking Starline to make it, but right now they can't even stock the calibers they already list. One of my current projects is making the brass from .223. Yep, 223 Remington. It can be done, takes at least a 5-ton hydraulic press and a lathe. I have quite a few rifles in that caliber.

Last edited:
It is out there. I just bought all Huntingtons had last week (1 box). Or BACO, GB. Around $2.50 to $3 a case since Jamison went out of business. I have several hundred. Sure wish I'd bought a lot more before Jamison folded. I keep asking Starline to make it, but right now they can't even stock the calibers they already list. One of my current projects is making the brass from .223. Yep, 223 Remington. It can be done, takes at least a 5-ton hydraulic press and a lathe. I have quite a few rifles in that caliber.

I've only been seeing closer to $5 a case. I can regularly find old boxes of 25-20 ammo for close to $250 per 50, so I could pull the bullets and use those. Or I might have to break down and get some RCC Brass made for $4.82 a piece. I've heard to stay away from Bertman/Bell brass, but otherwise how many reloads should I expect?

The stuff I bought was Bertram. Despite always a very high price, even before current era we're in, they've never had a great reputation. I havent shot enough of it to say. I've bought a few auctions of other old American brand stuff, but usually pretty high priced and none too great looking. I decided at least Bertram was new. Beware RCC. In either 2020 or 2021, I decided to pony up & have them make me some (it's all custom CNC milled to order). We got bogged down on getting the dimensions specified, they were not at all responsive. They kept dropping the ball for months, and I eventually had to cancel the order. They didn't respond to that, either, so I ended up having to dispute the charge on my CC before it became too late to do so.

OP - that left hand 1885 is still in low 5s, although 6 days to go, so who knows where it will end up. Seller says action looks new. To me, it looks like plated with plating flaking off, but maybe just poor photography. Nice wood work on it. Being left-handed, it may generate less competitive interest. Or maybe even more interest from fewer, but determined, lefties. You never know......
219 Donaldson - I grew up hunting woodchucks with a Martini that my Dad built in that caliber, with Unertl scope. I still have it and cherish it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941203867
That one got into a last-minute bidding war between 2 people and went up to $1300

How repeatable is that scope brian? I always thought they were cool 😎
comes right back into battery after each shot. Very accurate. I have a Lyman Super Targetspot that doesn't have the spring, so it's a trick to remember to pull it back into battery after each shot. That one's on a Martini in 22 Super Jet.

I was lucky enough to score 50pc of 25-20 SS Winchester factory sealed unprimed brass, and 50pc of 22-3000 G&H primed brass factory sealed for under $2 each. I think I'll use the G&H and hold on to the Winchester for the time being.