1885 Browning

davej

I recently purchased an 1885 in 7mm Rem mag and thought I'd find some info on it here. Did a lot of searching and found nothing, which surprised me. I know it's not a rail gun but its complete absence here did suprise me. Are they not considered adequate by the long range crowd? This gun will shoot within an inch or better with factory ammo ( I just got some dies and brass, so will begin load workup next )and the 28" barrel really rings out most of what a 7mm rem mag has to offer. If there's something I'm missing, in my thinking, I'd love to learn. Ron.D

I have a browning 1878 in 7mm mag. that has long been my favorite long range rifle. (This is essentially the same rifle as yours) The accuracy of this pretty unbelivable. It will average .5 or less with about any hunting bullet and is extremely consistant and never changes zero. The forearm on these rifles is floated and that may be part of the reason for the excellent performance and the second reason is the excellent quality workmanship. I hope you love your new rifle as well as I love and enjoy mine. Jim.

Years ago I purchased the very first 1885 that I ever saw , it was a 22-250 28" barrel . after waiting 16 months to get bases for it I started load developement, it was exceptionately accurate and faster than my 220 Swift , the only problem was that the trigger is gruesom and after several tries at the gunsmith I got frustrated and sold it prematurely, dang I wish that that gun would come back,it has a look like none other,shoots great and save a horrific trigger is a perfect one shot big game ,or varmint rifle.
B

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear that I'm not out in left field with my thinking. The trigger on mine doesn't seem so bad, but then again I'm not exactly a benchrest competitor. These guns are a class act, and I know I'll enjoy it even more as time goes by. I like the fact that being a single shot, you lose a few inches on the action, so even a 28" barrel doesn't seem quite so long. Thanks, Ron.D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.