180 Grain Bullet 3400 FPS or better

Running the numbers, the berger 190 LRHT at 3050, easily achievable in a 26" 7-300 Weatherby, 7 STW, 7-300PRC, or 28 Nosler, has less wind drift all the way out, more energy past 400, and more velocity past 650 than the 172 absolute at 3400. That said, the Absolute has a significantly flatter trajectory to 1k and enough velocity (1798) to expand at that distance. These numbers are based on Sea level 59* standard atmospherics with a 10 mph crosswind. Just shows that BC will almost always beat velocity past 5-600 yards when there is enough difference. But 34-3500 FPS with a heavy 7mm would still be way cool.

It's probably already been done and very well have been done by someone here . Take the 30-378 and neck that sucker down to 7 mm that should put you where you wanna be. You said barrel burner not a problem ! Lol that combo should get you there easily I'd think . Now as far as the 26 inch barrel maybe, maybe not. It may need a little more run way than that to burn all the jet fuel
I was first leaning to 7-378. Just don't know if you can get them to stabilize. Isn't much info out there on it either

Running the numbers, the berger 190 LRHT at 3050, easily achievable in a 26" 7-300 Weatherby, 7 STW, 7-300PRC, or 28 Nosler, has less wind drift all the way out, more energy past 400, and more velocity past 650 than the 172 absolute at 3400. That said, the Absolute has a significantly flatter trajectory to 1k and enough velocity (1798) to expand at that distance. These numbers are based on Sea level 59* standard atmospherics with a 10 mph crosswind. Just shows that BC will almost always beat velocity past 5-600 yards when there is enough difference. But 34-3500 FPS with a heavy 7mm would still be way cool.
Agreed. So, I want Max BC paired with max velocity. Baddest MF out there

I will find the load that fits it, test my come ups to 1000, then it will be left in the safe only to be shot to take large animals.

Ok so I'll go back to my recommendation of 7-300 Norma. I would personally go with an improved Variant to reduce case stretch so you can run up the pressure some in addition to the extra capacity. I would think it gains a good bit going from a 20* to 35-40* shoulder in addition to .010-.015 larger shoulder dimension. You would probably be fine with 50 Pieces of brass the way you are going to use it and it takes at least that many to break in the barrel and level out velocity, so just do your fireforming then. Even with 190s and the barrel long throated for them, you should be able to Mag feed and have as much capacity as a 338 Lapua based case at the same COAL. Use either a Wyatt's 3.8" CFE 12 box or AICS 338 Lapua CIP mags. I think the 190 LRHT would be the best bullet choice because they have the thicker Target Jacket to handle the speed and essentially the Same BC (.384 G7) as the 195s. I have some on order but haven't seen them yet, but others have said the tips are more open than the SMKs and you can assure terminal performance by running an .040 wire drill bit through them. I would still go with an 8 Twist but try to get a 5r barrel since they're supposed to stress the jacket less. Again the way you're planning to use it I would probably go with Ramshot LRT for powder because it should be slow enough for top velocity and you won't have to worry about powder bridging. Not sure on temp stability but just work up your load in conditions similar to what you will hunt in and you should be fine there. Not having any experience with the cartridge I can't say if you'll be able to hit 3400 but it should be close. The ballistics with those bullets at that speed or even 100 FPS less are very impressive for sure. You would have to go up to a Cheytac type big bore to match it. Let us know how it goes.

28 nosler with long throat. With Ryan Pierce's throat it runs 195's at 3250-3270, so for a 15 grain lighter bullet it wouldn't be surprising to push that 3300-3350.

If you don't mind running a 30-32" barrel, I think it would be possible with a long throat 7mm RUM. Not even a wildcat.

28 nosler with long throat. With Ryan Pierce's throat it runs 195's at 3250-3270, so for a 15 grain lighter bullet it wouldn't be surprising to push that 3300-3350.

If you don't mind running a 30-32" barrel, I think it would be possible with a long throat 7mm RUM. Not even a wildcat.
Sir. Is that with a 26" barrel that RP gets 3250fps? Been contemplating one of his 28 noslers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.