18 Moose Points - decisions

Dirty Steve

If you were sitting on 18 Wyoming moose points and finally felt like you had an opportunity to be able to afford to draw (or at least try) next year, what would be your top unit choices. This will be a guided hunt. I'm not doing a DIY given that I'm 52 now and will never draw this tag again in my lifetime, if I can even draw it now.

Dirty Steve

I have no first-hand advice on this but I know GoHunt is a wealth of stats for this kind of thing. Good luck on your moose hunt! I just turned 40 and need to start applying now if I ever hope to get to go.

Area 26 (Kemmerer) used to have extremely high moose numbers. The population is much reduced, but still have a decent amount of moose. The terrain is relatively tame, and there are also a lot of two-track roads available to the hunter! memtb

" I just turned 40 and need to start applying now if I ever hope to get to go."[/QUOTE]

Better check those odds again- at 40 you're way too late! At least under WY point system- you'd be wasting your money. Unless you are "lightning strike" lucky and get a tag on the random draw.
Low moose numbers, lower tag numbers, and more demand have lead to a bottleneck in the draws. I started at the beginning and it took me 18+ years for sheep/moose. Starting now with thousands ahead of you would take two lifetimes.
Good luck to the OP. Since you are set on going guided - I'd talk at some guides that take nice moose and ask what units they guide in. Not all the big ones are in 1 or 38 where the tough draws are.

I know it's gotten really tough. I was a couple off Max and it took me a few tries to get an area 1 tag- just competing against my own point level. I wanted to DIY so I held out for an accessible unit. It's only getting worse.
I was just thinking if you are going guided for sure- there may be some wilderness units that are easier to draw that aren't really talked about. The accessible ones get most of the press;^) Age 57 at the time I didn't wanna backpack my moose very far.
I've seen Barlow Outfitters at a couple shows- they had a book full of dandy bulls. Don't know them personally, but I'd check folks like that and see if there are some sleeper spots that horses would be the ticket.

I have 12 moose points. I just gave up trying to get a tag.
I talked to an outfitter last winter that was listed in the Wyoming Outfitter magazine. He told me his hunters had 18 pts but one drew with less in the random drawing. He only had a few (1-3) hunters a year.
I shot a moose with my bow in 2000. I don't think I could pack one out now. That was a diy hunt in SW Wyoming. My buddy shot one at 5yds that same hunt. The last week of Sept. the moose are rutting and it's not that hard to call them.

If you were sitting on 18 Wyoming moose points and finally felt like you had an opportunity to be able to afford to draw (or at least try) next year, what would be your top unit choices. This will be a guided hunt. I'm not doing a DIY given that I'm 52 now and will never draw this tag again in my lifetime, if I can even draw it now.

Dirty Steve
Give Sy at SNS Outfitters a call. His Grays River camp may be an option.

I'd check with some outfitters around Pinedale. There's a lot of moose that hang on private ground in those areas which might increase yer chances of getting a better bull. Don't know the draw odds on any of those areas, so you'll have to do some checking. I'd also say screw SNS. That azzhat is the last guy I would hunt with...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.