18 inch Proof CF 300WM

Made it to the range an hour ago to zero. No load work, just some federal 190 smk ammo. From another 300WM 26, velocity is around 3K. On this 18 inch, average is 2850.

Wind, full value from 8 to 11.4. Did not play with the wind, just centered after boresight, and walking the POI. I like the elevation spread.

20230616_110553.jpg
20230616_120812.jpg

Will hit the plates later after lunch.

I got invited to shoot steel plates up to 1200 yards this Friday and Saturday. For laughs and giggles, I decided to unscrew the 26 inch fluted barrel and swap it with the 18 inch 10T Proof CF, and run it suppressed with AAC Titan QD. In retrospect I should have opted for a 9T or 8T so I can run heavy monos. The 215s will have to do. Still have enough FGGM 190s to burn up this barrel, twist choice is not all futile.

The barrel is short, I could not chuck it in the headstock between spiders on either the 1440, nor the 1236, so the little green machine got the nod. The JET lathe is only 1024, belt drive, but very capable.

The JET HS is so short that I can run the 18 inch barrel between spiders and not touch the carbon fiber. I can chamber and thread the muzzle easily. Muzzle thread would be 3/4-24.

This 18th Proof barrel would be the 5th barrel on this action. The previous ones; original 7RM Sendero, 7 STW, Schneider M40 300WM, and the Wilson fluted 300WM.

We shall see how it works out. AAC cautioned me about running an 18 inch 300WM with the Titan QD. I think for limited rounds per time period, it should be fine. Not running rattle battle pace here.

View attachment 470068View attachment 470069View attachment 470070View attachment 470071View attachment 470072View attachment 470073
View attachment 470074
View attachment 470075

Are there any members here who are running 18 inch 300WM suppressed? Could you please share the good, the bad, and the ugly?

My brother has a 20" .300 Win Mag and he loves it, shooting the 181 Hammer Hunter he is in the 3000 to 3100 fps range. He uses a Nomad L and it is quiet enough you can shoot it without headphones and get no ringing in your ears.

Shooting in central Texas at noon yesterday? You must have sweat enough to lose weight...

I'm getting ready to head to the range now, but I won't be there for more than about an hour after sunrise.

Great build. I like my shorties.

Is that a private range? I'm still searching for somewhere to shoot over 200yds a reasonable distance from Wimberley.

Best of the west used to have a range in Liberty hill an hour north of you. There is also a range in Utopia that goes out to 1060 yards (South Hills) 2hours west of you, but you have to make an an appt.

Shooting in central Texas at noon yesterday? You must have sweat enough to lose weight...

I'm getting ready to head to the range now, but I won't be there for more than about an hour after sunrise.

Great build. I like my shorties.

Is that a private range? I'm still searching for somewhere to shoot over 200yds a reasonable distance from Wimberley.

It wasn't too bad early the wind was running up to 12. Died down, and the heat got miserable.

On the way back now.

There is nice range in Burnett that goes to a mile. You have to qualify to shoot past 600.

Check them out.

Best of the west used to have a range in Liberty hill an hour north of you. There is also a range in Utopia that goes out to 1060 yards (South Hills) 2hours west of you, but you have to make an an appt.

That was a big lose, Best of the West. I was able to shoot there once with my M1A at 1K before they shut it down.

I couldn't remember if it was still running or not, to bad.
Now days I would be googling ranches in the area, seems like more are putting in long ranges for guest these days. Might have to stay for a weekend though to get in.

I had no idea Reveille had a range...

I'll have to see if it's a club or strait public. I really dislike public ranges.