300wm reamer

LR Guru

Formerly '300NM_guru'
So I live in WA state and have a half built 300wm (scope, stock, trigger) I'm gonna have bartlein put a new barrel on it. True the action and bed it. I just emailed them asked them if they can ream it for rhian manthas 215 hybrid. If they can't does anyone know of a gunsmith i can send everything to have assembled with that reamer.

Get an A191 reamer, it doesn't allow the case to stretch as much as a SAAMI reamer.
Otherwise, get a Match reamer.

Cheers.

Get an A191 reamer, it doesn't allow the case to stretch as much as a SAAMI reamer.
Otherwise, get a Match reamer.

Cheers.
Okay. Thanks for the information. I'm new to all of the rifle building so I don't know much other than what I research. This is my first build. Am I better off going with a quality Smith then having bartlein do the work? And when I send them a dummy round what doesn't that mean. Obviously no powder or primer. A bullet loaded to my current max COAL or?

Bartlein will probably do an excellent job, but I have zero experience with them other than using their EXCELLENT barrels. It's really up to you if you use Bartlein or a smith
They require a dummy round (no primer or powder) so they can throat your barrel correctly. For instance, I run my 264WM so that the heal of the boat tail is just below the neck/shoulder juncture, this is how it was throated with .020" jump from that measurement.
If you have a restrictive magazine, then supply a dummy round at the MAX mag length (with .010" wiggle room) and have it throated .020" beyond that or a little more if you are using different/heavier bullets.

Cheers.

Bartlein will probably do an excellent job, but I have zero experience with them other than using their EXCELLENT barrels. It's really up to you if you use Bartlein or a smith
They require a dummy round (no primer or powder) so they can throat your barrel correctly. For instance, I run my 264WM so that the heal of the boat tail is just below the neck/shoulder juncture, this is how it was throated with .020" jump from that measurement.
If you have a restrictive magazine, then supply a dummy round at the MAX mag length (with .010" wiggle room) and have it throated .020" beyond that or a little more if you are using different/heavier bullets.

Cheers.
Okay what should I use as a reference for the dummy round? As in how long should I set my dummy round. My current max CBTO is 2.902. I currently shoot them at 2.862

Greg Tannel has an excellent video explaining the how and why...

It's always best to have a custom reamer ground to the exact specs- neck diameter and freebore- you want rather than re-working it. If it's otherwise SAAMI, extending freebore alone is relatively straightforward. That way, there's no question that it's exactly what you ordered. Given the cost of a custom rifle, $175 for a reamer should be considered as part of your project. Not usually needed on a hunting rifle, but target shooters will often have one or two additional barrels spun up at the same time for replacements.

I agree with Shortgrass.
I only mentioned the A191 chamber because you mentioned you were buying one.
That is what I chamber my F-class barrels with.
As to throat length, you want to be within xx distance while still being within your mag box length. For instance, a mag box that is only 3.400" long is too short for a SAAMI 300WM chamber, most chambers run a COL of 3.565" with most long bullets, while VLD bullets will push out beyond 3.600".

Cheers.

I agree with Shortgrass.
I only mentioned the A191 chamber because you mentioned you were buying one.
That is what I chamber my F-class barrels with.
As to throat length, you want to be within xx distance while still being within your mag box length. For instance, a mag box that is only 3.400" long is too short for a SAAMI 300WM chamber, most chambers run a COL of 3.565" with most long bullets, while VLD bullets will push out beyond 3.600".

Cheers.
I might run that route. Huntfarther told me to contact him because he has a reamer for his rifle builds that works great for the 215s. I'm not running a box mag just factory Floor hinged plate. I'm not scared to single feed either. I run SAP 2 shell holder. Also maybe do a SAAMI chamber will be better for my first build. If I run a 215 designed reamer I am basically stuck running that one bullet correct?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.