18 inch 1:14 22-250

@Mikecr is spot on ...

14 twist has no problem with 40gr vmax ... a very fast twist, however (9, 8, or 7 certainly) will rip them apart after they leave the barrel because they are spinning so fast (the rpm's) that the construction of varmint (and many other types) bullets cannot handle that kind of rotational stress. Velocity can have a 'small' amount of impact on that and in the case when bullets are blowing up after muzzle exit, slower velocity is "theoretically" advantageous to resolving that issue but the reality is, the rate of twist is what matters most ... and not by a little bit.

Now - if you also want to shoot heavier bullets, you will not be able to stabilize things much heavier than 55gr with a 14 twist.

I learned in first year engineering school long ago ... "Everything is a trade-off" ... decide what you "must" be able to do at the light and heavy ends (boundary conditions for your application) and then pick the the best balance of twist for YOUR application/requirements.

Some of the lion guides use browning blr in .22-250. They have me cut them off at 16 inches for ease of carry on horses. They also use them for coyote control at some pretty long ranges. Most shoot 55 grain bullets and have great results killing lions up to 200 pounds.A 40 grain should shoot great ; but so will heavy bullets up to 55 grains.

Years ago I had a Winchester featherlite? in 22-250 & 1-14 twist lite 18" barrel. Could not get it to group worth a darn and velocity was right at 223ai and the muzzle blast was god awfull SO it got traded off. A suppressor would take the blast away but??

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.