178 gr 30-06 reload data

MadMax60

I am working up loads for my 30-06 using both 178 gr Berger VLDs and 178 gr AMAXs for some long distance mule deer hunting this Fall. With limited powder selections in my area I have picked up some H4350 for this project. Has anyone used the H4350 powder for pushing these 178 gr pills? Can anyone give me a good starting load to work from using these ingredients? I am also using Winchester brass for my '06. Any help would be useful as I am fairly new to this game.

I also use a 25-06 blasting 85 gr BTs for my coyote rig and these work wonders on the song dogs. I saw the writeup on switching to the 90 gr VMaxs. I am looking into a load for that rifle as well.

Thanks for the great forum and very knowledgeable people here. I have enjoyed many write ups as a lurker.

gun)

I think you got the best powder you could for that combination. The hodgdon book says max is 59gr h4350 and lists it as the fastest powder for 175gr bullets. You would want to start at 56 or 57 and work up in .3 or .5 gr increments looking for signs of pressure. I find that I usually get a good load just below max pressure so if you start to see ejector marks or flattened primers back off a few tenths of a grain and load six rounds and shoot two groups to see what that load will do.

sounds like great bullet combos that 4350 is hard to beat I have some loaded in my 06 200gr smks its to windy today to try my different charges I have assembled im anxious to try them out if you would let us know how it turns out im thinking of trying the 178s or the 215 bergers next

I had goofed on one of my bullet selections. I had mistyped the Bergers. They are 168 gr bullets not 178gr. I checked the Hodgdon website and it is great.

I do have another question relating to these loads for my '06: is there any particular primer to use? I do have a collection of either CCI BR2s and Federal 210Ms. Some people like the CCI BR2s and others the Federal 210Ms. Anyone have any experience using these primers?

I had goofed on one of my bullet selections. I had mistyped the Bergers. They are 168 gr bullets not 178gr. I checked the Hodgdon website and it is great.

I do have another question relating to these loads for my '06: is there any particular primer to use? I do have a collection of either CCI BR2s and Federal 210Ms. Some people like the CCI BR2s and others the Federal 210Ms. Anyone have any experience using these primers?

I use a 06 and use the standard Fed 210 primers with Lapua brass. No problems with these primers

From the Berger manual. The starting load for the 168gr Berger using both IMR4350 and H4350 is 50gr. The max load for H4350 is 55.8gr and 55.7 for the IMR. Of course tune to your rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.