168 GR ABLR seating depth for 7MM RM

deweyduck

After lots of comments about these bullets, I am interested in trying some and I tried reseating factory loads to .010 jump. That decreased the group to 2 inches but way too wide compared to my handloaded168 VLD's at zero jump which nets a typical 3/4" 100 yard group. My gun is an off the shelf Win 70 with 9.25" twist. Factory jump is really deep and not accurate enough at all. So, I'm looking for a tip so as to avoid wasting $$ seeking a tighter group. My zero range is 300 yards and my expected targets will be 200-400. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am not familiar with the factory loads you're quoting, but if your hand loads are doing better, why bother with the factory stuff?
You can just pull the bullets, dump the factory powder and put your own powder load in and seat to what your hand loads were at and shoot away. The cases will need to be re-sized prior to seating bullets.
Sometimes it's not just the factory jump, but the neck tension is high on factory stuff which your gun may not like.
I would also try longer than .010" jump and see where that gets you.
My STW seems to like .030" jump with the same bullet, haven't fine tuned anything yet though due to lockdown where I am, no hunting or shooting allowed yet.

Cheers.

I am not familiar with the factory loads you're quoting, but if your hand loads are doing better, why bother with the factory stuff?
You can just pull the bullets, dump the factory powder and put your own powder load in and seat to what your hand loads were at and shoot away. The cases will need to be re-sized prior to seating bullets.
Sometimes it's not just the factory jump, but the neck tension is high on factory stuff which your gun may not like.
I would also try longer than .010" jump and see where that gets you.
My STW seems to like .030" jump with the same bullet, haven't fine tuned anything yet though due to lockdown where I am, no hunting or shooting allowed yet.

Cheers.
They are Nosler Trophy Grade. Your idea about .030 sounds good. I think I will try that because the factory jump is about .227 and 3" groups. My best handloads are Berger 168 VLD's. I just want to try the ABLR because of so much positive comments on this and other forums. Any other ideas will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts