162gr a-max vs 168gr. berger hunting vld

tnhunter211984

Im shooting a 7mm Dakota i just got from my wife. Im confused between the 162gr a-max or the 168gr Berger hunting vld. Im only gonna deer hunt with some wild pigs. Wanting some advice please.

Shooting Berger 168's and 160 Accubonds in my 7mm calibers and having great success. The 160 Accubonds are awesome for deer. Never had any issues. This year will be my first year to shoot a deer with the 168 Bergers, but I do plan on sharing my results.

I have seen two coues wt (puny 100 lb animals) DRT with double high shoulder shots at 400 yds from 7 rem mag. Velocity at animal was 2529 fps. Bullet exited with small amount of damage to meat. Exit hole was 1/2" - 5/8" dia. Very impressed with results.

I now lean towards the Berger hybrids for my deer hunting but there was nothing wrong with the 162 A-max. It is sometimes finicky to load and gives up some BC to the Berger 168s.

According to Bryan Litz's calculations the true BC of the 162 A-max is .599 (G1) .307 (G7)

I have file on the success others have had with the 162 A-max. It Is too long to post here. PM me and I'll send it. It was copied from 24 hr campfire over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.