7mmSAUM 168gr Berger Hunting VLD... Kissing the Lands? Important?

LDHunter

I am finally putting together some long range rounds for both of my Remingtons chambered in 7SAUM. Barrel breakin is over and I've about shot up all my old handloads during barrel breakin.

What I have is Nosler Brass and 168gr Berger Hunting VLD bullets.

I plan to use H4831SC and I have most of the major brands of primers but I'm thinking Remington because that's what Nosler recommends in their online data and I can't see where Berger even mentions what primer to use.

Here's my question... The Berger 1st Edition manual says best accuracy is accomplished if I load my bullets touching the lands but there's no way they'll fit in the magazine that long and although I intend to do a fair amount of target shooting with these loads I'd really like to hunt with exactly the same loads so my familiarity with these rounds is rock solid.

Does anyone really know just how important it is to touch the lands to get maximum accuracy? Have you actually tested to make sure it truly is important?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

$bob$

I almost always find best accuracy .010" in to .010" off the lands. Across the board in competition you will find most loading close to the lands. However, for hunting accuracy you will be just fine with long jumps. Just because you are jumping far does not mean you can not fine tune your seating depth for good accuracy. You will see groups come in and out of tune by moving seating depth just like powder charge. Start with .005" changes then fine tune .002" at a time. Small changes in seating depth have a large effect.

LD, send Berger an e-mail with your specs and they will reply with a load suggestion. Since the Berger first edition was first published, Berger has revised a lot of info and one of the revisions was seating depth.

Almost every Berger VLD load I have worked up prefer a jump of. 0500"-.100". Only 2 loads out of about 40 like the bullet jammed.

The newer manuals state start jammed, and test seating depth at .0400" intervals to find where your rifle likes them.

I almost always find best accuracy .010" in to .010" off the lands. Across the board in competition you will find most loading close to the lands. However, for hunting accuracy you will be just fine with long jumps. Just because you are jumping far does not mean you can not fine tune your seating depth for good accuracy. You will see groups come in and out of tune by moving seating depth just like powder charge. Start with .005" changes then fine tune .002" at a time. Small changes in seating depth have a large effect.
I agree with Alex, I would seat them as long as your mag box will allow then you only have one way to go if you want to try a seating depth change.

This is their protocol for target shooters(who jam and seat loose). The hunting test is similar but I can't find it, start a few thou off.
---------------------------------

For target competition shooters (for whom it is practical to seat into the lands), Berger recommends the following test to find your rifle's VLD sweet spot.

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL:
1. .010″ into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
2. .040″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .080″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .120″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Berger predicts that: "One of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005."

I've had good success with them jumping .060 in two different rifles. H4831 sc is a very accurate powder for me with 168's.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.