162 amax vs 160 gameking for elk

swampdog112

I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in a reloading section...

I recently built an ultralight 7-08 with 9.25" twist for backpack hunting and have found it to be extremely picky on bullets. I was hoping to shoot the Nosler 150gr Accubond LR but I cant get them to group.

I shot some 160 gr Nosler Accubonds and went from 2-3" groups to 1/2" groups. The problem is I ran out and those things are nowhere to be found. I spoke with Nosler and they didn't anticipate another run of them till at least August and that is getting too close to my hunt date.

I'm looking to get a load built for a pronghorn/elk hunting trip in October and am trying to decide between the 162 amax and the 160 gr gameking. I imagine 500-600 yards will be the limit for this rifle.

I don't have any experience with either of these bullets but my buddy shoots the 162 amax in his 7-08 for elk and mule deer and swears by them. They also have the better BC by a pretty significant margin. Just wondering if anyone has experience with either of these?

Thanks!

I have killed several elk with the 162 Amax just not in the 7-08. My experience was with the 7mm STW and a 7-300 Win Mag. They were very effective and I did not have to shoot any of them a second time. They should work just fine in the 7-08 as well. Good luck on your hunt.

I recently built an ultralight 7-08 with 9.25" twist for backpack hunting and have found it to be extremely picky on bullets. I was hoping to shoot the Nosler 150gr Accubond LR but I cant get them to group.

I shot some 160 gr Nosler Accubonds and went from 2-3" groups to 1/2" groups. The problem is I ran out and those things are nowhere to be found. I spoke with Nosler and they didn't anticipate another run of them till at least August and that is getting too close to my hunt date.

I'm looking to get a load built for a pronghorn/elk hunting trip in October and am trying to decide between the 162 amax and the 160 gr gameking. I imagine 500-600 yards will be the limit for this rifle.

I don't have any experience with either of these bullets but my buddy shoots the 162 amax in his 7-08 for elk and mule deer and swears by them. They also have the better BC by a pretty significant margin. Just wondering if anyone has experience with either of these?

Thanks!

Gameking and don't look back. Two different types of construction. If you were shooting a larger magnum that pushed more weight I'd say go either way, but you're not.

Thanks!

I AM NOT SURE MY RIFLE WAS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE BUT IT WAS A 7MM Remington Magnum. Sako Hunter I believe. R22, it shot the 162 Amax great, shot a bull at 250 yds. I was less than impressed. Shot several coyotes with the same bullet face on. Never got an exit. I had to shoot the bull 3 times. The AMAX is a target bullet. All I shoot now is Bergers and haven't shot another Elk with the 7mm. Went to the 6.5x47 Lapua. I wish I could tell you more but given the choice I would shoot the Sierra's.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.