HAMMER 7MM 143 VS 177 FOR ELK

Nevrsummr

Morning guys.

Getting ready to start load development for my new 28 nosler. Since its a barrel burner i would like to get the bullet right the first time.

I spoke w/ hammer bullets and they reccomend 143 for elk. But i am more of a heavy bullet kinda guy. My barrel (proof 1:8) can support either. And the chamber is made to accept up to berger 195's.

Pros and cons? Energy vs velocity? Wind affects? I have read on here people having success with the 143,s but not much on the 177's.

Appreciate any help!

I've killed a decent amount of elk with the 177 in my 28 and the throating works perfectly. I don't like light for cal on elk, even monos, I've seen more wrecks that way, I want larger chunks of that nose shredding lung and blood vessels. I've caught one 177 in an elk, shot her shoulder to the of side hip and found the shank in her hip bone, it messed her up the whole path!! That was just under 400 yards.

Any decent 7mm bullet from 140 up will kill any Elk tht walks. 1000s have been killed with unbonded cup and core bullets in Rem 7mm Mag.

Where you put it is far more important that what it is.

Any decent 7mm bullet from 140 up will kill any Elk tht walks. 1000s have been killed with unbonded cup and core bullets in Rem 7mm Mag.

Where you put it is far more important that what it is.
He asked about Hammers in a 28 Nosler what does a 7 mag with 140 cup and core have anything to remotely do with the OP. Shoot an elk with a 140 cup and core doing 3600 fps plus and see how that turns out for ya, no one with even a few elk under their belt would advise that!!

Perhaps because I find the obsession with technology rather than hunting ability sad.
Most Elk are killed under 200 yards, hence my comment.
Either of the bullets he cites will work just fine as will dozens of other monos, partitions or bonded ones.

Perhaps because I find the obsession with technology rather than hunting ability sad.
Most Elk are killed under 200 yards, hence my comment.
Either of the bullets he cites will work just fine as will dozens of other monos, partitions or bonded ones.
What, where was technology brought up or hunting ability, you realize your on a Long Range Hunting forum right!!

What, where was technology brought up or hunting ability, you realize your on a Long Range Hunting forum right!!

The inconvenient truth is that a Federal Premium 7mm STW 160 gr load is <2300 fps @ 500 yards. Any 7mm cup and core bullet would work just fine. It's only up close that it might fail.

That's immaterial as we are on a long range hunting forum ?? lol.

BTW Federal 7x57 175 cup and core MV is 2370 fps.

BTW many hunters on this site use match bullets that a far more fragile than a cup and core big game bullet.

The inconvenient truth is that a Federal Premium 7mm STW 160 gr load is <2300 fps @ 500 yards. Any 7mm cup and core bullet would work just fine. It's only up close that it might fail.

That's immaterial as we are on a long range hunting forum ?? lol.

BTW Federal 7x57 175 cup and core MV is 2370 fps.

BTW many hunters on this site use match bullets that a far more fragile than a cup and core big game bullet.
Dude get back on your meds, your completely incoherent!!
Now you've gone from 140 cup and core bullets in a 7 mag to 160+ in a STW to a 175 in a 7x57, what does that have to do with a 28 Nosler and 143 and 177 Hammer bullets.
I know your desperate to be relevant and bully your way through the forum but at least kinda stay with the subject even if you don't know anything about it!!

400 yds is normal. Out to as far as you would want to shoot. The 143 is supposed to be over 3600fps.

If you're normally in the 400 and less range you'd be good to go with either. Personally, I'd shoot them both and see which perked the best at the 400 yard mark and call it a day. I"m sure that either will do you just fine to as long as you wish to go.

I've killed a decent amount of elk with the 177 in my 28 and the throating works perfectly. I don't like light for cal on elk, even monos, I've seen more wrecks that way, I want larger chunks of that nose shredding lung and blood vessels. I've caught one 177 in an elk, shot her shoulder to the of side hip and found the shank in her hip bone, it messed her up the whole path!! That was just under 400 yards.
I loaded up the 177s in a buddy's 26" 1:8" 28 Nosler @ 3221fps. Not the hottest load I found, but crazy accurate. Should "Hammer" elk. I would load the 177s myself as well in a 1:8" if longer shots are possible.
I like the heavy for caliber mono's and already shoot the 143 HH in a 7mm ma. I am gathering the parts for a rifle that will be used primarily for longer range blacktail deer. I have everything except the defiance Anti action. It will be throated for 177 HH's and should accomadate the 195 EOL nicely

bigngreen and lancekenyon would you care to share your load recipe for the 177's for the OP and any others going down that road? The 28N has a limited barrel life especially with N570. There is no sense killing a barrel off trying every combo looking for the perfect load.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts