1600 yard rifle and bore

This is what he has

Attachments

• 20210510_191707.jpg
    20210510_191707.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
I have taken my Bergara HMR Pro out to 1800 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor. 140 RDF's. Can shoot in the 3's if I do my part.

I have taken my Bergara HMR Pro out to 1800 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor. 140 RDF's. Can shoot in the 3's if I do my part.
What does "in the 3's" mean? 3MOA at 1,800 yards means your hits are within 54" of each other? Hitting something a mile away with a 6.5 Creedmoor consistently is more than exceptional as one has to adjust significantly to deal with the effects of wind and trans-sonic and a light pill.

Your best bet would be to search for good, unbiased reviews on the Internet. There are many very knowledgeable shooters on LRH, but there are also many biased shooters here who favor their one rifle and caliber. Here's a good review on going for a mile

Last edited:
Hi guys
I'm trying to buy a new rifle to shoot targets at 1600 yards or more. But I don't want to spend more than 1500 dolars in the rifle. I was thinking of Bergara B14 HMR or Tikka T3. Which one do you think is more accurate? Do you have any other recommendations? I need one with fast twist to shoot heavy bullets.

I will buy it in 300WM or 7mm Rem Mag which one do you think is the best for extreme long range? Opinions? I reload, of course.
300WM is a venerable old work horse for hunting four- as well as two-legged critters. However, introduced with 1963 ballistics technology, several attributes inhibit its ability to excel at ELR by today's definition and performance expectations, including:
- As I recall, 300WM is trans-sonic well short of 1500yds.....around 1200yds.
- Short head dimension...incompatible with high BC, long, heavy for caliber projectiles. Its biggest disadvantage is a quite short 0.72-inch "head height," which is the distance between the front of the case mouth and the cartridge's SAAMI maximum overall length
- Sloppy throat dimension......The SAMMI throat of the 300WM is 0.315 for a .308 projectile.....throwing a bowling ball down a hallway.....versus 300PRC 0.3088......better bullet presentation to the rifling.
-300WM is belted making headspacing less precise versus 300PRC, a shoulder headspace datum line.

The 300PRC was selected by military for its ability to deliver 50% probability first round impacts at 2000m on human sized targets. But, the 300NM has preempted the 300PRC for the new SOCCOM MK22 in the Barrett MRAD Advanced Sniper Rifle contract. There are also numerous other 300 cartridges as better options than 300WM for 1500+yd applications.

Not sure if this is the exact model but it is around $1375. I think my buddy got it on sale, 300wm has a 26" pipe with 8" twist

I have the browning Hills Canyon long range. I have been struggling With it getting it to shoot under 2MOA. I thought I would like the magazine option versus the floor plate but find that I cannot get anywhere close to the lands with the magazine in the browning.

What does "in the 3's" mean? 3MOA at 1,800 yards means your hits are within 54" of each other? Hitting something a mile away with a 6.5 Creedmoor consistently is more than exceptional as one has to adjust significantly to deal with the effects of wind and trans-sonic and a light pill.
Likely referencing 0.3x moa. Most don't brag about 3MOA. (Well, I might)

Yep, that 225gr pill will be walking away alright. All over the place with the 300win mag's traditional 1:10" twist.
You will probably be ok with a 10 twist. If not he could go to the 215 berger. You'll run into the same issues with a 7 mag. O and I shoot a 7 mag not a 300 win but mine wears an 8 twist for 180's and 195's. Either one will smoke a 6.5cm with room to spare and I love the cm.

You will probably be ok with a 10 twist. If not he could go to the 215 berger. You'll run into the same issues with a 7 mag. O and I shoot a 7 mag not a 300 win but mine wears an 8 twist for 180's and 195's. Either one will smoke a 6.5cm with room to spare and I love the cm.
~ OK. From what I've seen at the club's range (up to 1 mile), the 1:10" 300 win mag's do walk with 220's on up. That evidence and more led me to build a 300 PRC with a Proof 1:8" twist. I've built a 7mag with a Bartlett gain twist barrel (1:9"- 1:8.5") and am finishing up a 6.8 Western with a Hawk Hill 1:8". The heavier VLD pills and faster barrel twists are a great combo. I also toy around with a lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor.
I'm really been blown away by the accuracy of my MPA 6.5PRC. MPA puts a 0.37MOA guarantee on this rifle, and it is a beautiful piece of firearm engineering. Cheers to good shooting :)

I have been trying options in the Berger bullet stability calculator and for the 230 gr bullet (the best BC of Sierra) I need the 1:8 twist, but I am having a lot of problems to find the rifle with that twist. All the rifles I have found are in 1:10, and that's not enough for heavy bullets with good BC.
The Savage model 110 has twist 1:10 here.