Short Action Big Bore Scout Rifle

375rifleman

Like the title says I've been thinking about building a big bore scout rifle. I'm looking for something that's a better stopper than my 300 Weatherby, my Weatherby is ok if you're going to sit all day with the rifle on sand bags unless something surprises you and you have to turn completely around, its too long and heavy for that. If I had a rifle that was more compact I wouldn't be limited to just a few stands. So far I've been able to make good enough shot placement as to the animal doesn't go over 60 yards but if I was more confident in a rifle stopping the animal in just a few steps after the shot all the better, that way I wouldn't have to worry about game finding a 30ft deep ravine.

What are you planning to stop?

The .350 Remington Magnum would be a good place to start, and the modern short mags could be necked up as well.

Start with how much bullet you think you need.

You lost me at "300 wby ain't killing good enough" (paraphrased , of course ) ....

But a huge bore scout rig has always been interesting to me .. I'd be sure to choose a cartridge not hamstrung by short barrels . Look at powder burn rates and such on some fat ones

Re-reading it, could have been my interpretation as much as wording, but let me make sure.

If you're talking about a short action, lightweight, hunt the timber kind of rifle, that's one line of thinking.

If you're talking about something in a short action, with more immediate effect than the .300 Weatherby I can't see that happening. Moving 60 yards after the shot is not uncommon, and they rarely move to a better recovery site.

There are bullets that offer a higher per cent of one and done type experiences, and I believe the .338's, and .375's yield a bit more on the spot performance, but no guarantees there either.

What bullets are you using, and what game are you shooting, at what ranges.

Well I shoot a 180 grain Swift Scirroco at 3000 FPS but it only puts out around 23 Taylor index and 3500ft lbs but I was thinking about going with a 375 or 416 Ruger but ballistically they're not nearly as flat shooting as my Weatherby. I've went hunting for elk, mule deer, and white tails at ranges starting at 600 yards and in if that helps.

Second hand, but reliably sourced, the Bergers have given good results in the conditions you mention. One of the contributors on this site "Broz", has been recounting his experiences with the .300 Winchester Magnum, 210 and 215 Bergers for a couple of years. He's up to 28 one shot kills on game at long range, either as shooter or spotter.

I can't recall the thread title, but a little time with the search bar in the upper right hand corner, and you should find it. Photo's supported with good data.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.