Big boomer short action query

reconrover

Howdy all, going to put together a lightweight high mountain rifle for Elk/Mulies. The stock I have is a short action (Iota/Krux). What is the biggest boomer that I can squeeze in there? I already have a 7mm WSM. Had a 300 WSM and thought it was a pretty decent general hunting rifle. Any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance. (I have no issue with recoil)

The downside to the short action is that it's hard to load long high bc bullets and fit them in the mag.
That said, there aren't many options better than your 7wsm.

The downside to the short action is that it's hard to load long high bc bullets and fit them in the mag.
That said, there aren't many options better than your 7wsm.

The Sherman short and sst are meant for just that and work great.

Depending on what you consider to be a Big Boomer, I noted a Remington 600 action that was rechambered for the .458x2" cartridge used on Roosevelt Elk and Blacktails in Oregon, in the Cascades. Don't even think about the recoil.

WW

i've considered a Short action 7mm for some time... perhaps the Tikka will get rebarreled someday. I'm honestly hoping that a "7 PRC" gets created with case volume between the 6.5 and 300 and produced with strong factory support, so it can be a factory and/or reload situation rather than just custom reloads... i do love the data/specs for the Sherman stuff though...

i've considered a Short action 7mm for some time... perhaps the Tikka will get rebarreled someday. I'm honestly hoping that a "7 PRC" gets created with case volume between the 6.5 and 300 and produced with strong factory support, so it can be a factory and/or reload situation rather than just custom reloads... i do love the data/specs for the Sherman stuff though...
Mine is running a 230 eldx with room to spare in my accurate wsm magazine. I believe brass is available now?
It's just the 50 piece limit from Sherman that has me kind of bummed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts