1600 yard rifle and bore

Praire Dog

Hi guys
I'm trying to buy a new rifle to shoot targets at 1600 yards or more. But I don't want to spend more than 1500 dolars in the rifle. I was thinking of Bergara B14 HMR or Tikka T3. Which one do you think is more accurate? Do you have any other recommendations? I need one with fast twist to shoot heavy bullets.

I will buy it in 300WM or 7mm Rem Mag which one do you think is the best for extreme long range? Opinions? I reload, of course.

Some Tikka 300 win mags come with a 10 twist now.
The Bergara's come with heavier barrel and better stock for LR.
The last Bergara I did load development on was shooting terrible 1-2" 3 shot groups. I thought something was loose but I was persistent and after trying 2-3 different powders and 2 different Bullets I got it shooting in the .2s with a few groups in the .1s it was just a very picky rifle.

It's a little over your budget at $1800-2200 but I would get a a Havak Bravo, Havak HIT, or Badrock Precision Rifle in 6.5 PRC for target shooting. Similar ballistics much less recoil.

Thanks for you answers. And what opinion do you have about using 300WM with bullets SMK HPBT 230 gr? They have a G7 ballistic coefficient of .800

This is a bergara 6 creedmoor at 800 yds. David

Attachments

• 1743FA35-27F6-473C-8948-5F64B6E24C12.jpeg
    1743FA35-27F6-473C-8948-5F64B6E24C12.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 106
Thanks for you answers. And what opinion do you have about using 300WM with bullets SMK HPBT 230 gr? They have a G7 ballistic coefficient of .800
The 230 SMK has a listed g1 of .800, the g7 is somewhere around .394 depending on rifle. Still a great long range target bullet if you have the twist and velocity to use it to its potential

The 230 SMK has a listed g1 of .800, the g7 is somewhere around .394 depending on rifle. Still a great long range target bullet if you have the twist and velocity to use it to its potential
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. So what twist and velocity do you recommend?

My buddy bought a Browning x bolt in 300wm for this exact purpose. Browning barrels tend to be faster twist than everyone else at least on most of the xbolt models. His was in the $1100 price range.
What model? More opinions about this one compared with the others?

That bergara should do it if you get a great barrel. Same as any factory rifle it's a gamble.

Tikka will limit you badly for this purpose in 300 win. The action and mag room just isn't there for feeding loooooong 220-250 grain bullets that you should use for this purpose. And the 30 cal used to only come in 11 twist. You'll be wanting a 10 twist minimum . I'd get a 9 twist for this purpose. A heavy rifle will be your friend here. And adjustable stock or chassis is a big plus to get perfect fit. It matters at extreme range.

What model? More opinions about this one compared with the others?
Not sure if this is the exact model but it is around $1375. I think my buddy got it on sale, 300wm has a 26" pipe with 8" twist