16.5" 6.5 Creedmoor capabilities

I'm using the Hornady 140gr. ELD MATCH, around 2,700fps (off the box not chrono'd) and all within 1"
Going for steel. Just want to test the true capabilities of the rifle first at this barrel length.
Find someone with a chronograph, even if you have to ask a stranger at your local range, and get an actual velocity of that ammo in your rifle. I am betting you are more like 2500-2550. Which is OK.

For steel, it will sure be fun, and a good learning experience. 1000 should be doable. I used to shoot the 140 HVLD w. MV of 2850 out to 1771 yards. It got tricky past 1400, but doable. You should not hit transonic/subsonic (providing 2500fps MV) until 1200ish yards depending on your elevation and temps. Even further if you are up in elevation. Making 1000 on steel very realistic. For deer sized game, limit shots to 550-600 or so to stay above 1800fps, and you should be fine.

Hello all,
New to the forums and this is my first post.

I recently built up a Remington 783 6.5 creedmoor with the16.5" tapered heavy barrel. I mainly wanted it for use with my silencerco hybrid, to keep the package relatively short. I also installed silencero's muzzle brake. Glass is a vortex diamonback tactical 6-24.

I've only just gotten it broken in and zeroed out to 100, but what I'm wondering is what I should expect out 1,000 and beyond. With that shorter barrel, will it still be pretty capable from any of yalls experience? My main problem right now is just trying to find somewhere I can stretch it out that far lol
Short stiff barrels are frequently chosen by top shooters such as Todd Hodnett. Todd explains he can correct dial for the lower muzzle velocity, but cannot reliably dial for barrel whip in longer, thinner barrels. Consistency is KING.

I'm about to chop one of my old 6.5 Proof pre-fits down this coming Wednesday to 17" it will be a 100 yard deer/pig plinker. 2840fps with StaBall and 140's new, but when I took it out of service at 3,300 rounds still printed .75" on paper even dropping about 25fps. Will be shooting it suppressed. Won't be counting on any accuracy with a hacksaw cut and potential crown issues, but as long as I see 2500fps I'll have my local boy thread up the muzzle and run it in GA in a couple of months.

I'm about to chop one of my old 6.5 Proof pre-fits down this coming Wednesday to 17" it will be a 100 yard deer/pig plinker. 2840fps with StaBall and 140's new, but when I took it out of service at 3,300 rounds still printed .75" on paper even dropping about 25fps. Will be shooting it suppressed. Won't be counting on any accuracy with a hacksaw cut and potential crown issues, but as long as I see 2500fps I'll have my local boy thread up the muzzle and run it in GA in a couple of months.

Looking forward to seeing the results

Interesting experiment. I would have guessed you would put on a new barrel and go another 3300 rounds of great performance at all distances. Best of luck! I'm at 2400 rounds and about a consistent 1/2" group with a 6.5CM.

Interesting experiment. I would have guessed you would put on a new barrel and go another 3300 rounds of great performance at all distances. Best of luck! I'm at 2400 rounds and about a consistent 1/2" group with a 6.5CM.
That chop barrel has 3,300 on it and is 26" long and has lost about 30fps so I pulled it out of 2k yard service. The one I currently shoot has b/t 2400 and 2500 and is a lights out bug holer still. This is just going to be one I slap on to go hunt GA lighter, shorter to climb trees etc. Not sure if you have looked at the Proof stainless 26" but it's almost 8 pounds! Chopping off 9 1/2" should get it to maybe 4 lbs. Just a fun way to put new life into a barrel that is sitting in the corner doing nothing....for 5 minutes work I can swap it out 2x a year to kill a deer at 80 yards.

At the end of the day with Berger's suggested MV minimum for best VLD performance of 1800fps. Let's say for instance I lose 300fps which there is no way I will, but just for conversational purposes. That still gives me good performance out past 500. Going by what I've looked at on other 6.5 barrel chop hand loads I'll probably lose closer to 160-175fps so 100 yards looks more like 1,900 ft lbs at 2480fps. Double lung, pump house, scapular/spine....whatever...it's gonna put meat in my freezer b/c the longest shot I can muster in the trees I'll sit would be maybe 125 yards.

And if you want a little more punch with your 16.5 barrel just recharger to 6.5x284. Mine is getting 2950 with 120 ttsx Barnes