150gr badlands BD2 280ai

John - That's great velocity. I only have one pound of RL23. Was this with 150 BD2? I'm a little afraid of compressed loads with the long monos.
It was the 143 Hammer Hunters. I have a 26" tube on that rifle. I have another .280AI with a 24" barrel. I share the same caution on the monos. I'm at least 2 grains lower than early signs of pressure. H4831sc is very good powder with the .280AI. I'm messing around with the 150gr Barnes TTSX and using H4831sc. Have you harvested any game with H4831sc.

It was the 143 Hammer Hunters. I have a 26" tube on that rifle. I have another .280AI with a 24" barrel. I share the same caution on the monos. I'm at least 2 grains lower than early signs of pressure. H4831sc is very good powder with the .280AI. I'm messing around with the 150gr Barnes TTSX and using H4831sc. Have you harvested any game with H4831sc.
I'm meant have you harvested with BD2.

No on game reports yet with the BD2 on my end. If I can get good results in testing, maybe this fall. It's going to be tough to beat the consistency of 143HH. I just like trying out new bullets and other components as it keeps me squeezing the trigger.

H4831 is temp stable but not high energy. As a result you are not going to get much more than 2850-2900 fps. You should try StaBall6.5. Data are available in the 2021 Hodgdon Annual Manual for 150 gr lead core bullets which can be applied the 150 Gr BD2. I would start at 54 gr and do a 1 shot ladder up to about 58 gr where you are likely to start to see pressure signs. You are likely to get above 3000 fps.
Finally ran this pressure ladder this morning. I got 3013 at 56 grains with the BD2 150's. No real pressure signs until 56.5. Heavy bolt lift and ejector marks so I stopped there. I'm on the edge at 56 grains, but I really won't know until I try a 5 shot group at this charge. Running 24" barrel suppressed with Peterson brass and Fed210 at .025 jump. 88 degrees and very humid this morning.
IMG_0819.jpegIMG_0821.jpeg

I realize this is an older post, but thought I would resurrect. Just received a couple of boxes of 150 gr .284 BD2's to try in my 280AI. I've got a new # of RL23 I thought I would try. I have plenty of H4831SC as well as several other powders I could try, but no RL26. New Peterson brass and either BR2's or Fed215M's. Any updates or suggestions would be appreciated.
What did you come up with? I have the r23 and h4831sc and want to try some 140 bulldozer 2s.

Here's my results with the 140 BD2s. This group was used with H4831 going about 2970 have yet to try RL23
Speed seems pretty good with h4831sc, but I'm fairly new to reloading. What kind of load development technique do you do for a hunting load? Was thinking about doing like 10 incremental 3 shot groups for accuracy. I do have a magneto speed and hve heard controversy about using them for accuracy groups but from my understanding the groups will be true, but may not be where they should be on paper without it.

I didn't try the 140's. The 150's pressured up very quickly. I just haven't made the time to get to range in several days. It's so dang hot I come up with all kinds of excuses. The StaBall 6.5 shows a great deal of promise. If you have H4831 and RL23, you should be able to find a load. I run pressure ladders first to determine where my max charge will be. Start low and load one round in either .3 or .5 grain increments. Stop when you start showing pressure signs and back off a grain and load for groups. Some do it differently, but once you find a safe flat spot in velocity, I would remove the Magneto Speed. Keep us posted.

Speed seems pretty good with h4831sc, but I'm fairly new to reloading. What kind of load development technique do you do for a hunting load? Was thinking about doing like 10 incremental 3 shot groups for accuracy. I do have a magneto speed and hve heard controversy about using them for accuracy groups but from my understanding the groups will be true, but may not be where they should be on paper without it.
You can ask 10 different people and you'll get probably get 10 different answers on load development lol but I've tried many different techniques and honestly the best results I've had have been from Dan Newberrys OCW ( optimal charge weight) test LOTS of YouTube videos out on that and he also has a website describing how to do it and there's even pod casts about it. As far as velocity goes I stopped chasing that dragon a while back lol SD and ES is great but at the end of the day within 500 yards I'm all about groups and keeping my sanity lol I've shot factory ammo with a ES of 73 and held 4" groups at 500 that's all a guy needs for a HUNTING rifle. In my experience those number don't show the truth till much further down range and as for as the magneto goes I only use it for velocity ignore my grouping when I have one strapped to the bbl

Recent Posts