150 gr Scirocco vs 140 gr TSX

John Burns

This is a continuation of the discussion from Long Range Hunting.

Jon A,

Yes all data was corrected for the ambient conditions.

My guess and I repeat guess is the TSX (I have never shot them but I have never seen Barnes list a BC off by more than 0.030) will have a BC around .45 (G1). I ran a quick comparison and if the TSX is started at 3150fps and the Scirocco is started at 3100 (both easily obtainable in the 7mm Rem Mag) the difference in wind drift at 600yds is less than 3". In my opinion this is not a very significant advantage.

G1 Drag Model
150 Scirocco BC 0.510
140 TSX BC .450 (educated guess)

7000 ft 30 deg Temp

With either bullet you have to correctly estimate the wind speed.

Oldguns,

How deep did the bullet penatrate?

Let us know how the testing comes out. One thing--I understand that (at least in some calibers/weights) the nose profiles have changed on the TSX vs the XBT's including amoung other things a larger hollow point but Barnes seems to have left the (already inflated
wink.gif
) advertised BC's the same.

In Rick Jamison's recent test, the 30 Cal 180 TSX got hammered compared with the Interbond (which was a 165!), AccuBond & Scirocco--even worse than the XBT did previously.

In any case, I'll be interested in your results. Those are my predictions....
wink.gif

On edit: Just for the fun of it, I'll put an actual number on the prediction: .425 -- Corrected for conditions the same way as the Swift measured .510

[ 07-13-2004: Message edited by: Jon A ]

I talked to Barnes about the BC of the TSX bullets. They said that the 30 cal 180 TSX should have a BC of about 0.510 due to the change in nose profile. I have shot this bullet out to 500 yards and it seems that 0.510 is close enough for those ranges. Not sure about further out. Rufous.

Don't get me wrong, I do think they're good bullets. I've used the X and XBT's extensively in the past and was happy with them. And everybody says the TSX's are the best yet.

But their BC exaggerations just bug me to no end. It's pretty lousy they tell you on the phone the BC is .510 when they advertise .552. But that's not all of it. The BC of that bullet is only going to be .510 if they are using a different scale than everybody else. In Rick's test it measured 12% lower than the 180 AccuBond and 19% lower than the 180 Scirocco. That's significant. Especially when they advertise it as being so much higher than both of those.

John Burns....deer had to be shot twice...first shot high in the shoulder, just below spine(deer was running. it knocked deer down but it got up running)...4-5" entry hole..approx 1/2" exit hole. Second shot.. deer running again.. quarting away shot deer mid rib into boiler room...Again 4-5" entry hole..NO exit hole

No exit. Just what one would expect from a ballistic tip type bullet.

With X bullets the only one I've ever seen recovered was a 416 -400X into an Eland. Shot in the rump, recovered under the skin in the neck. All others have exited from any angle.

Thats the reason to use an X bullet.

Shooting high in the body is never good though. Watched a caribou get shot twice last year at over 300 yards. Both high shots. Both total penetration but just kills slow. Got down and finshed him with a 44 airweight.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.