150 gr 6.5 smk's for hunting effectiveness?

Bertram has or is soon to have 6.5 saum brass. Calib on here is the guy to talk to for a for sure answer.

any experiences out there. i am shooting them fairly fast, 2960 fps ish. using for mule deer and elk. i have another gun loaded for 140 berger hybrids at 3100 fps. any thoughts on which would be better overall? thanks
Depends on how you define better. Between 500 and 1200 yards(4500ft/45F), the relative ballistic performance; velocity, energy, and w/e turret settings between the two loads is less then 50FPS in velocity, 100-150FP energy(advantage to the Sierra), a click or two in W/E.....Not much difference given the balancing of velocity/BC. IMO, I would choose which load gives the best accuracy, ES, and, most importantly, consistent terminal performance on the game at the distances you are hunting. Not much has been reported as of yet on the Sierra's in terms of terminal performance....

I can now vouch for the effectiveness of the 6.5mm 150SMK on game at high velocity and fairly close range.

3117fps MV, shot was at 186 yards. Antelope dropped like he was hit by lightning without a single twitch. Entrance was tiny. Just inside, hole was about 2". Insides were liquified, exit was 2". Lungs were basically Jell-O on the ground, and a river of blood.

I would classify expansion as exceptional but not exploaive. Impact velocity was somewhere around 2910fps. Energy transfer was apparently traumatic with the instant stone dead results.

I can now vouch for the effectiveness of the 6.5mm 150SMK on game at high velocity and fairly close range.

3117fps MV, shot was at 186 yards. Antelope dropped like he was hit by lightning without a single twitch. Entrance was tiny. Just inside, hole was about 2". Insides were liquified, exit was 2". Lungs were basically Jell-O on the ground, and a river of blood.

I would classify expansion as exceptional but not exploaive. Impact velocity was somewhere around 2910fps. Energy transfer was apparently traumatic with the instant stone dead results.

Excellent! Thanks for the report! I was hoping that would be the case as I plan on possibly trying the 197 smk out of my new 7mm build I'm doing. Same design sonic hoping in theory they'll perform the same.

I have used the 6.5mm 142 and 7mm 183s with excellent results as well. I plan on using the 6mm 110s in my 6CM build also.

any experiences out there. i am shooting them fairly fast, 2960 fps ish. using for mule deer and elk. i have another gun loaded for 140 berger hybrids at 3100 fps. any thoughts on which would be better overall? thanks
Use punctuation and never use a target/match bullet for hunting big game.

My bad on nomenclature I didn't pick up on SMK vs TMK!
Nice results Lance, that's a very nice speedgoat, congrats!
Looks like Prime is using the 142 SMK in their soon to be sold 6.5 Gap 4S ammo, might have to give that a try!

I was doing crop damage control on white tail deer using 308 Win and 30-06 shooting 150 and 168 Sierra Match Kings. We are talking somewhere between 50 and 100 deer being shot. Most of the time the bullet acted about like the Berger VLD hunting bullet on impact and shots were usually inside 300 yards. BUT! Every once and a while and yardage of shot did not matter, the bullet would act like a FMJ and some deer were lost in the NC jungle they ran off into leaving no blood trail. So Murphy can show up and he usually does at the worst time like when you have that trophy of a life time in your sights. There are too many good bullets designed for hunting these days for me to personally take the chance on a target bullet. But that is just me. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.