142 ABLR vs 143 ELD-x vs 140 Elite Hunter

Have had a .46 moa 5 shot group at .040 but it didnt hold true when loading up 10 more, back to 3/4 moa.

im guessing it likes it somewhere close.. id keep trying at that seating depth .. and small powder adjustments both side of your original charge.. possible brass volume changed or neck tension changed just enough to push you off the sweet spot ..

Last edited:
im guessing it likes it somewhere .. id keep trying at that seating depth .. and small powder adjustments both side of your original charge.. possible brass volume changed or neck tension changed just enough to push you off the sweet spot ..
I have about 90 eld-x bullets left to play with. I might try the .04 jump with different neck tension amounts and different powder charges to see if I can dial it in any better

My suggestion; try a different primer other than CCI 41? That primer might work OK but I have my doubts on it in your setup. You are shooting a bolt action, right? It was designed for military semi-auto type rifles to prevent slam fires by being less sensitive as other primers.
If you're using small rifle primer's try the CCI BR4 or 400's. Reduce and work up your load even when changing primers.
I have used the 143's in my 6.5-284 before and they accurate (.45") but not as accurate as the 140 and 147 ELD-M's (.2-.3"). Different cartridge I know but the bullets have been consistent for me.
I have taken one whitetail with the 147 but it wasn't a true testament of its capabilities as a hunting bullet. It was a high shoulder shot at just under 200yds. Bang, flop, start skinning.

My suggestion; try a different primer other than CCI 41? That primer might work OK but I have my doubts on it in your setup. You are shooting a bolt action, right? It was designed for military semi-auto type rifles to prevent slam fires by being less sensitive as other primers.
If you're using small rifle primer's try the CCI BR4 or 400's. Reduce and work up your load even when changing primers.
I have used the 143's in my 6.5-284 before and they accurate (.45") but not as accurate as the 140 and 147 ELD-M's (.2-.3"). Different cartridge I know but the bullets have been consistent for me.
I have taken one whitetail with the 147 but it wasn't a true testament of its capabilities as a hunting bullet. It was a high shoulder shot at just under 200yds. Bang, flop, start skinning.

I had to go to a hard cupped primer because the softer primers crater really bad, surprised I didnt pierce any actually. I also have on my bench cci400 and 450. Could try both.

On the 200 yd high shoulder shot, nice!

i have seen the 143 ELDX perform very well on coues deer but seems to be a little more temperamental than the 147 ELDM; consistency degrades a little more with changes in temperature and pressure. I know hunters that have great luck with the M's but I have never tried them on game. I was using the ABLR and had full trust that if I made a good shot the ABLR would take care of business, so why change (unless I find something superior). The 156 carries a little more SD and energy down range and seems to be a little more accurate. Had to give it a try and found another good option. The 156 appears to be the real deal.

i have seen the 143 ELDX perform very well on coues deer but seems to be a little more temperamental than the 147 ELDM; consistency degrades a little more with changes in temperature and pressure. I know hunters that have great luck with the M's but I have never tried them on game. I was using the ABLR and had full trust that if I made a good shot the ABLR would take care of business, so why change (unless I find something superior). The 156 carries a little more SD and energy down range and seems to be a little more accurate. Had to give it a try and found another good option. The 156 appears to be the real deal.

Is the 156 a hunting bullet or target bullet?

Try the Hammer Hunter bullets. I've shot a lot of bullets over the years and many are good. I have good loads using both the 143 gr ELD-X and 140 gr Berger Elite Hunter in my 6.5 CM but these Hammers blew me away when I tried them. They are taking things to the next level in accuracy, ease of load development, and top terminal performance. This is typical group I'm getting with 124 gr Hammer Hunter in front of max load of Varget
124 gr Hammer.JPG

Lapua brass, CCI 41 SR primers. H4350. Hoping to stick with that powder for now for its great temp stability (and I still have 7 pounds of it). Using 41.5 grains for 2770 fps. Charge weight didnt seem to affect group size at 200yds by any significant amount. Have tried jumps of .01, .02, .03, .04, .045, .050, .055, .060, .070, .080. Most of those produced about 1 moa @100 yards. .040 to .055 give me about 3/4 moa. Have had a .46 moa 5 shot group at .040 but it didnt hold true when loading up 10 more, back to 3/4 moa.

Thanks for any advice on that. Also to note, my rifle did not shoot the precision hunter 143 ammunition well either, about 1.25 moa. It does shoot berger target ammunition 130gr and 140gr hybrids to sub 1/2 moa at 200 and 400 yards.
Kind of comparing Apples to Oranges, I use all three Bullets in my 6.5 Creedmoor but where they really shine is in my 26 NOSLER pushing all three around 3,520 fps over Retumbo and Fed 215m primers and 2,725 fps over H4350 over BR4 primers in my 6.5 Creedmoor! The Creedmoor likes a small jump .024 the 26 Nosler crammed into the lans! Both are between 0.120" and 0.153" at 200 yds. As long as I have not had too much coffee in the am!!! I would say push them a little harder, stretch out your rounds start at 0.020 and work back if that does not work try reducing the load and touching the lans, but first change primers!!!!

Slightly off topic. Rem 7-1/2 are about as hard as I've found. I run them in everything I can. If you are having cratering problems and are NOT overpressure. It can be fixed. What size is your firing pin? .062 is the ideal size. Anything larger and things go wonky. Gretanrifles does this service and now all the new custom actions come with the same .062 Fp. Works very well

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.