120gr BT's for Deer?

Thought I'd report in on the .280 AI & 140 gr Accubonds: 4 for 4 with it; 3 bucks and a feral hog.

All the deer ran off; averaged ~20-30 yds. Small exit holes but decent blood on two of them. One didn't bleed much but I knew I'd hit him right(only about 30 yds!!).

Hog DRT.

Bottom Line for me: Can't complain but I like a larger exit hole. All of the animals had 2 inch diameter exits although plenty dead/lots of internal damage. I love those Accubonds and they helped me get many animals to eat over the past few years but I am thinking about those BT's.

PS: I am LOVING this rifle!

Congrats on the deer and hog, I shot a 200 lb 8 point with my 280 this year with 140 gr sierra pro hunter and never found 1 speck of blood. I found the deer 80 yds from the shot dead as a wedge. Since then I have moved to 140 gr Bergers over 56grs of RL-22, my groups have shrunk from .5s to .3s just one ragged hole. I havent shot a deer with this load yet but plan to this weekend will report back on Monday. Im still in the fireforming stages of the Ackley project but .3s is something for me to be proud of from a $1100 project gun.

That 120 will work just fine. I would also prefer the 140 but you will be fine. Especially if its what your rifle likes.

I am sure that the 120gr. Will do fine, but I would pay close attention to performance, it is on the light side for deer in my opinion. Years ago I loaded the old 120gr. Flat base bullets that Nosler made in my 7RM and they shot the best out of all the bullets put Through it, so that is what I hunted with. I killed one of the best 8pt. Bucks I have ever killed, but almost lost it due to poor penetration, luckily I was able to put another one in him before he got away. After that, I went to the Hornady 162btsp and never had the problem with penetration, made 2 holes every time.
I read an article 15 or so years ago about the "rule of 250" on sectional density and it stressed that any bullet that has a SD lower than 250 was marginal for taking deer sized game and I have used that rule myself ever since. Any bullet that has a SD of 250 or more will make 2 holes almost every time and there usually no tracking job needed after that. Speed does not kill, but shot placement does and it worth a 1000FP
Just something to think about and you can take it with a grain of salt too, just my lowly opinion.
FElightbulb

Coff- recent article in precision shooting was about the 7mm rem mag and the 120 grain. used to protect ther president. i have shoot abunch of big game with nosler 120's including a BC antelope. it is awesome . you will love it.

If your worried about a 120 grain bullet doing 3200 fps not getting the job done check out this video.

This girl takes out a cow elk at nearly 700 yards with a 243 (105 grain bullet)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18]Kasandra Cow elk 688yds.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

I've shot several deer and a couple of antelope with 120 ballistic tips in my 7X30 Waters Contender. The bullets worked well at the lower velocity of the 7X30. Some dropped in their tracks and others ran a ways. I haven't seen any reason to not use them.

Well,I just fired a group this morning with 120gr Hornadys that was fantastic. 3 in a bug hole nd a wide flyer that was most likely the opperator. All from a semi custom 284 Winchester long action on a trued 700 Remington. 24" Shilen stainless pipe,B&C Medalist, Holland lug and Leupold 6X-18X. The charge was 50.5gr of 4320 in a Winny case and Fed primer. I don't have the pic in this computer so I'll have to post it later. This rifle was built around the 150/160gr bullets. With the base of a 150gr nosler flush with the base of the neck you are in love with the lands. I was VERY surprised these shorter slugs shot so durn good. If I make it pronghorn hunting anytime soon this will e the combination.

002.jpg

I would have no problen using a 120gr on a Deer.
They are not Elk or Moose. most of us go for the lungs, it will turn the lungs into Jello.
Use it and don't worry, it will do the trick.

If you wont to know the damage a 120gr can do to a deer, shoot a wet phone book at 100 yards. than shoot a 2x4 at 100 and a 4x4 at 100. there is your answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.