115 berger in 25-06 help

I finally got out today to test some more loads. Today's platter had three charge weights from 58.5-59.5 and two different seating depths (3 rounds for each).

The three best performers were:
58.5 grains seated -0.13 two rounds side by side with one about 0.75" away
59.0 grains seated +0.01 two rounds stacked vertically with one about 0.75" away
59.5 grains seated +0.01 two rounds in one hole with one about 0.50" away

So what I'm seeing here is
1. my assumption that more powder was needed was true.
2. No excessive pressure signs.
3. I want to see if fireformed and collet neck sized brass will improve accuracy
4. 59.5 grains is where i want to explore.
5. I need to chronograph and see long range performance.

Thank ya'll for your help. I will update as soon as possible. The chronograph results may cause me to reconsider powder choice. I'm hoping for 3100+fps.

The only reason you won't get 3100 or close with that load is because of you bullet being jammed or your barrel isn't long enough.

Andy

so today I took the savage out with the 59.5 grain load. This time, I varied the primers and was quite surprised by the results.

The best group came with WLR primers that group was 0.46" center to center with a nice triangular pattern. The cronograph had an average of 3135fps and ES of 12 for the 3 shot group.

The strange result was with Remington 9.5's the speed went crazy up (3156,3259, and 3269).

All groups were less than 1" except for the Federal 215M's that I tried (1.04")

Next step will be to take it out further to see what we can do. One small problem occurred though. At the end of the day I wanted to see what the Hornady critical defense 22 mag FTX rounds were doing out of my new NAA mini. the first four shots averaged around 1075 @10', then somehow the fifth one found its way into the lower left corner of my shooting chrony. Power and everything still works, it just reads Err1 every time now :(

I have a factory Ruger MKII 25-06 that loves them. My load is 60 grains Retumbo with CCI BR-2 primers. My fps is around 3130 - 3140. I found that my group shrank about by half when I went from the CCI 200 to the BR-2. Right now I'm sitting around .4" at 100 yards. Not bad for a factory Ruger.

Deer Season is here!

So with the confirmed load:
59.5 grains Retumbo
WW once fired brass
WLR primer
3.330" COAL I used the same bullet and case to re-set my seating die every time.
3135 fps
115 berger vld
Pre-accutrigger Savage 112 FLVSS with bell&calson duramaxx, tuned trigger 3#, weaver super slam 3-15X50.
I confirmed my zero shooting a 9/16" group outside to outside the week before season.
I took a doe at only 40 yds quartering to me. Shot placement put the bullet passing just posterior to the humerus/scapula and entering the ribs leaving a baseball-softball sized hole. During gutting the heart and lungs were destroyed (heart nearly split in two and the lungs had a very distinct path of destruction through them. The bullet must have totally disintegrated within the chest cavity because there was no evidence of and exit wound or damage to the off-side ribs. The doe ended up running/ rolling 15 yds before she stopped.
I ended up throwing away one of the shoulders due to the blood shot meat and destruction. I'm excited to see what these bullets do at longer range once they get below 3000fps.
Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Attachments

• Savage 112.jpg
    Savage 112.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 80
entering the ribs leaving a baseball-softball sized hole. During gutting the heart and lungs were destroyed (heart nearly split in two and the lungs had a very distinct path of destruction through them. The bullet must have totally disintegrated within the chest cavity because there was no evidence of and exit wound or damage to the off-side ribs.

Not to distract from the Berger's being a great bullet, as they are, but your experience is why I have stayed with the 115gr Partition in my 25's.

Where I hunt my shots are usually within 100yds, and the Bergers rocking along at 3100+ do some pretty nasty things to both deer and hogs when they hit something solid. That said, with the Partitions I get about the same amount of waste no matter if the shot is 30yds or 350.

I would rather to have the bullets hold together and give me a 3" wide wound channel all the way through, than an 8" one up front and nothing on the other side. I am not trying to stir the pot or get into the dead is dead argument, just stating facts from my point of view. I know how deadly the Berger bullets are, but in some instances you can match the velocity to the bullet a bit better. Now if all of my shots were exclusively out past 200 or more yards, I might feel completely different, but I have to load for all around any situation shots to be taken on 150 or so pound deer, and up to 400 pound hogs, and for that it is hard to beat the Partition.

You're not going to stir the pot for me. I know the partition is a great bullet. Its not the new bumfangled thing that everybody just has to have, but its a really good design.
I have used the partition successfully in factory ammunition, but can never bring myself to buy them due to the price and usually lower ballistic coefficient. I changed from the 117 grain sierra GK to the 115 berger purely in search of a better ballistic coefficient. I understand the short range limitations of each of these bullets and use them accordingly.
I will admit with this doe being my first berger kill I was really just wanting to see what would happen when i put one close to bone at close range. The sierras I used last year produced a channel which was completely opposite the berger (small entrance, quarter sized exit with lots of blood shot meat on both sides. I think I want to experiment with both a little more before I go selecting one for good.

Next week I go back home where rifle season will finally be in. I have a place where a 475yd shot will be likely. I'm hoping I can catch a bruiser cruising through there to let the little berger prove itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.