25/06-115 gr Berger VLD Hunting help

The largest group I saw in the pictures was around 3 inches. Most of the others look to be around 1.5 inches. I have a 30-06 that shoots around 1.5 inches at 100 yards and the same group at 300 yards. It helps rule out if he has a stability issue or something else. For sure it won't hurt anything to shoot out at 300 yards.

I think you may be ignoring a few shots, I think the best group was like 2.75" and the others all around 4".
Also that's not how angles and trajectories work, once a bullet has started on a path the angle will remain the same unless acted on by another force.

To The OP. I would check the rifle over thoroughly, every fastener. Those groups are indicative of something wrong with the rifle or something very wrong with the loading process.

on another note I have seen people that's as good as they shoot...

A recommended twist rate on the box is just that, a RECOMMENDED twist rate. The barrel twist rate calculator estimated a 1-9.25" twist was needed, which is still just a recommendation. Shooting at 300 yards could illustrate if he has an obvious accuracy issue at distance. Pick the best group as per how far off the lands, load three, shoot at 300 yards. That's what I'd do. YMMV.
I've worked with the 25-06 quite a bunch. I've found that IMR 4831 was my huckleberry powder.

I think you have a may have a stability issue. I don't have issue with the load as it is below the max of 51.6 in the Berger manual. That said, it is nearly impossible to evaluate test results if you do not start from a consistent baseline, let alone have any issues with your rifle and scope set up. Aside from different brass manufacturer's, your first target shows a charge weight of 50.5. If you start from a consistent baseline and only change one variable at a time, you may find what you are looking for with this bullet and powder, but you need to rule out everything else first.

Attachments

• 19192213-AB29-40AC-BD3F-061B45971209.jpeg
    19192213-AB29-40AC-BD3F-061B45971209.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
I think you may be ignoring a few shots, I think the best group was like 2.75" and the others all around 4".
Also that's not how angles and trajectories work, once a bullet has started on a path the angle will remain the same unless acted on by another force.

To The OP. I would check the rifle over thoroughly, every fastener. Those groups are indicative of something wrong with the rifle or something very wrong with the loading process.

on another note I have seen people that's as good as they shoot...
You are correct I did miss seeing some shots so to you and birddog 68 I stand corrected. But I stand by my statement of shooting at 300 yards. That'll illustrate accuracy issues as well as stability if he sees a keyhole at that distance.

Why is everyone hung up on twist rate. With his load he should be pushing 3000fps ish. Unless he's shooting well below sea level the bullet should still be stabilizing, He may not be optimizing BC but it's still stabilizing, not like it's tumbling.

Why is everyone hung up on twist rate. With his load he should be pushing 3000fps ish. Unless he's shooting well below sea level the bullet should still be stabilizing, He may not be optimizing BC but it's still stabilizing, not like it's tumbling.
According to Berger's twist rate cal it's marginally stable. And that can cause accuracy issues.

To the OP you could continue to try to get the bullet to shoot but my advise would be to save them for another rifle or barrel. It could be stability, it could be the powder choice, it could be that your rifle just doesn't like Berger. Since powder and components are limited right now I'd shoot what previously worked and wait for component supply to come back before pursuing the Berger 115. I had this happen with a 22-250 when supplies were good. I went through 300 rounds before the keyholes finally showed up.

OP, Are you starting with seating depth testing? or have you already done some OCW (powder weight) testing?

BTW, my Remington 700 25-06 used to like the 110 grain Nosler Accubonds with H1000.

Is this the only charge weight you've tried? I've always worked up in charge weight first, then fine tuned seating depth if needed. Again, I tend to think a slower powder may help. I wouldn't get hung up on twist rate.

Depending on your rifle's "actual" twist rate, a 1/10 tw may or may not suffice for stability. Some work well, others not so much. Also, I would use a slower powder and go for the highest vel within safety limits.

One of my 1/10 twist 25-06's with a 26" tube did not like early loads with the 115 Bergers, and only after changing powders to Retumbo or RL26 at top vels was I able to achieve decent groups.

I stand corrected on the charge weight just Jon. Thanks for the correction!
I'll bet you are right that there Is something off rifle/scope related.

i normally do charge weight first, but did try seating depth test first in my 204 Ruger. I chose a book recommended powder that I had never used before and a charge midway between book starting and max. Shot 5 three shot groups all under 1/2" @ 100 with best under 1/4" with single digit SD. Suspect I just got lucky, but plan on trying it again.