25/06-115 gr Berger VLD Hunting help

Hey,
Just some more food for thought.....my brother in law has a Howa action with a 26 inch Bartlien in a 25-06 with a 10 twist....doesn't really shoot for speed, prefers accuracy. His current favorite load for the Berger 115 VLD's is 55.3 grains of RL 26, 0.065 off the lands, at 3150 fps. We are at 1100 feet of altitude. It consistently shoots 1/2 inch or less at 200 yards. Definitely concentric tiny little holes touching at 200 yds. Just because Berger's spin rate calculator says it is losing 3% of it's ballistic coefficient does not mean it is not an accurate load. Currently our range is to 440. Pretty cold out in northern MN now. When there is not 3 feet of snow on the ground, we can get that range set up to 1000. We will see then if a 3% loss of BC amounts to any verticle stringing on the target at range.
Good luck with your rifle.
Tens:cool:

I don't think I would be doing shoulder shots with the Bergers either. They are not a stronger bullet than the BT. I'd go with a tougher bullet if you like shoulder shots.
This is key. If you shoot shoulders pick a stiffer jacketed bullet at least.
If you shoot them at distances where the velocity is dropping near the minimum upset, shoot ribs with one of the softer ones.

An update. Yesterday I was finally able to do more shooting. I checked the screws on my scope mounts and the front two I was able to turn 1/2-1 turn. All others were tight. I then went and shot factory ammo I know was good. My group was good so I feel good about my scope/gun. I reloaded using used brass, IMR-7828 ssc, federal match primers and 115 gr Berger's. I am .030" off the lands. The first group I shot looks good! See below! The one thing I changed was the powder. The first try I used H-4350. Thanks to everyone for your help!!
39FFA435-E622-4189-B025-C709E45F6C11.jpeg

1:10 is fine for the 115 in the 25-06. They worked great in my 25-06 a number of years ago.

I'd keep things consistent - use all fired brass, not a mix of new and fired. I've never tried H4350 in the 25-06, but had great results with IMR 4831! I'd go with a slower powder - either 4831 flavors, RL-22, IMR 7828 etc.
1 in 10 works with 115s and definitely try imr4831

I'm shooting a Ruger No. 1 with a 10 twist and it will put 3 under a dime at 100 yds. I'm using IMR4831 new remington brass and CCI 200 primers. It's nasty at 3200 fps. Maybe try a powder change? I'm not using anything fancy by any means and it's shooting bugholes. I'll get distance off the lands tonight for you. My daughter took this antelope at 536 yds with that load. The bullets frag into nothing so keep it off the shoulders. I killed a big bodied mule deer buck at 360 yds and hit the off side shoulder. Blood shot city. It missed the rib going in and must have been angled more forward than I thought. I've never had a 115 Berger exit.

Attachments

• 20220927_114633.jpg
    20220927_114633.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 17
I'm shooting a Ruger No. 1 with a 10 twist and it will put 3 under a dime at 100 yds. I'm using IMR4831 new remington brass and CCI 200 primers. It's nasty at 3200 fps. Maybe try a powder change? I'm not using anything fancy by any means and it's shooting bugholes. I'll get distance off the lands tonight for you. My daughter took this antelope at 536 yds with that load. The bullets frag into nothing so keep it off the shoulders. I killed a big bodied mule deer buck at 360 yds and hit the off side shoulder. Blood shot city. It missed the rib going in and must have been angled more forward than I thought. I've never had a 115 Berger exit.
Think I may try that since I have an 8lb jug of IMR4831.

Late to the party, but here is how I read the original 4 groups.

Severe horizontal dispersion. Caused by scope, scope base, poor trigger control, etc.

Third group was probably best seating depth as had minimal vertical, all things considered.

It's hard to hang your hat on it as there was a difference in brass between the groups, but I bet your best seating depth is around that third group, maybe.

Glad you found the loose screws and things came together on the followup.

Recent Posts