111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

338 win mag,
I feel your pain with your son's gun. How did he finally make out? A few thing's I did to solve my problem was free float the barrel CORRECTLY since savage didn't! Sorry I had to throw out there AGAIN, but the other thing which I feel was the breaking point was really tune in a handload. Like I said in my previous post a very good friend of mine is awesome at the handloads and finding that sweet spot for any gun. I think we went through 4-5 seating depth's before finding that my 7mm rem mag really loves 0.007 off the lands, I'm shooting 180 grain bergers with 66 grains of RL25, nosler brass, federal 215 primers. I also closed the muzzlebrake, I'm not sure if that had anything to do with solving my issue but I really dont think a brake is needed for a 7 rm & I figured to try it as I was using process of elimination at that point! I will post again once I shoot the gun with brake open to see if groups stay the same. My 7mm is now shooting 1 ragged hole at 100 yards with a 3 shot group but only thanks to my good friend who without a doubt put alot more hard work into the gun than savage did making it! I hope everything worked out ok for your son.
Brad.

I just shot my savage 300 win mag @ 1000-yards this weekend 6 shots @ 6 inch group for the first time @ 1000 wow. it took me 7 mounths to work up my load the barrel did not like any berger but loved 178-g a-max hornaday and reloader 22. I put a ziess z-plex 1000 on it zeroed @ 500 yards and the 1000-yard retical was right on the money @3009 fps truly a long range hunter. I guess I got luky with the scope being right on but worked my ***-off on finding the right load.I'm so glad I took the time on load devolpment. 100 yards to 400 yards is within a 1\4 to 1\2 inch of the retical markings need to practic a smother shot and then have fun. Dana B:)

thanks I read these threads of guys going out and buying quiality rifles and scopes and then complaining that they got riped-off because thier rifle shoots bad with factory ammo. I'm new at this 1000-yard shooting but these guys got to realize that they have to develop a load that the rifle likes in order to shot tight groups at any range.And if they dont like hand loading then pay someone that can work up a load for them and acutize the rifle. my savage 111 300 win mag LRH also shot like a red-ryder the first day at the range, in fact 6 months later later it still shot bad untill I quit trying to make it shoot berger vlds switched to hornay a-max then a bullet seating test before I had 3 bullet holes touching each other then the shooting fun begins:cool:

I bought a Long Range hunter in 300 wsm in Nov. 2012... I did have some of the minor issues that had been mentioned previous to this post (foreend of stock touching barel, and frontscope mounting hole too shallow). I'm relitively handy and again for me, these were minor issues to fix. I did contact Savage about theses issues and they told me to send it back to them but didn't want to wait to get it back. Regardless I'm very happy with the performance of this rifle as it shoots 3 round groups of .563" or 9/16" at 100 yards with cheap federal power shock(blue box) 180-Gr... I plan on testing more with it this spring, but am overall happy with the rifle and customer service that Savage has provided me.

AJ

Mine in 7 mag is at the gunsmiths right now as we speak. Also I am almost out of adjustment on my windage to the left with a scope mounted on a pic. 20 moa rail. Not sure the rifle lives up to the name. I was getting bad groups at 100 and I wasn't the only shooter. Tried many different loads at different depths and torqued all the screws and nothing happened still. Finally sent it off to get bedded and will see what happens next.

A friend of mine has a 7mm in the savage modle 111 LRH it liked retumbo and re-loader 25 with fedral 215-m primers with the berger 168-g VLD and then do a bullet seating test usally those bergers like a longer C.O.A.L..........You said something about bedding the action that gun has a alum-fiberglass stock.A 1 PIECE DNZ scope mount also works good on that rifle. try some of these loads and repost here I think you might find something there you really like. good luckgun)

Hate to hear bad stories. I have 3 Savages and all so far have been good. My lil 17 hmr is nice, my 204 in model 10 varmint is awesome and shoots bug holes with factory hornady ammo at 100. My latest acquisition is a model 116 6.5x284 and should be quite similar to the 111 LR. Accustock and trigger. Everything seems fine with the new one. I put a picatinny rail on it and flug some lead. Hope there are much more good then bad stories coming down the line.

Mine in 7 mag is at the gunsmiths right now as we speak. Also I am almost out of adjustment on my windage to the left with a scope mounted on a pic. 20 moa rail. Not sure the rifle lives up to the name. I was getting bad groups at 100 and I wasn't the only shooter. Tried many different loads at different depths and torqued all the screws and nothing happened still. Finally sent it off to get bedded and will see what happens next.

Sorry to hear your bad experience.

Just curious, what kind scope rail and rings are you using?

Reason I am asking is that on my 12LRP, I use a Weaver tactical 20MOA base and Burris Sig Zee rings. I had to adjust the scope windage 1.8 MIL to the right to sight it in. I have never seen any gun off by this much. It seems the holes on the receiver maybe misaligned.

A few people in this thread also report misalignment issue. Wondering if it is a common problem in factory Savage, or Remington for that matter.

Sorry to hear your bad experience.

Just curious, what kind scope rail and rings are you using?

Reason I am asking is that on my 12LRP, I use a Weaver tactical 20MOA base and Burris Sig Zee rings. I had to adjust the scope windage 1.8 MIL to the right to sight it in. I have never seen any gun off by this much. It seems the holes on the receiver maybe misaligned.

A few people in this thread also report misalignment issue. Wondering if it is a common problem in factory Savage, or Remington for that matter.

Its a warne 20 moa steel rail and a vortex pst scope with brownells steel rings. Definately didn't expect that.

Its a warne 20 moa steel rail and a vortex pst scope with brownells steel rings. Definately didn't expect that.

Wow, these are really high quality mount.

I am thinking about getting a steel rail. Does the Warne 20 MOA rail have a recoil lug that goes against ejection port of the receiver?

Thanks.

Kevin

I had to adjust the scope windage 1.8 MIL to the right to sight it in. I have never seen any gun off by this much. It seems the holes on the receiver maybe misaligned.

The holes are drilled straight. But they are drilled before the action is heat treated. It's the heat treat that is making the action come out of alignment.

Some actions are worse than others. You can send it to SSS to be straightened.

The holes are drilled straight. But they are drilled before the action is heat treated. It's the heat treat that is making the action come out of alignment.

Some actions are worse than others. You can send it to SSS to be straightened.

Make sense, thanks for the explanation. Who is SSS? Savage Service?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.