111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag

I've been shooting my savage LRH in 300 WIN-mag now for a year since I developed a load for it. I have my scope retical figured-out to 1000 yards.Been practicing doping the wind @ long range.I harvested a nice buck @783-yards cross two canyons in southern Arizona,This is my rifle I love it.None of this would have hapend without some very serious load development my savage shoots tight.I bought a savage 25-06 in the cheap model edge,had a timney installed in it and stuck a ziess scope on it . I have my last bullet seating test to shoot this week-end and it will put 3 holes in the paper @ 100-yards that touch each other,cracks me up.Savage is truely a great rifle in my book hopefullly they can set yours stright............gun)

hey guys... Mine is chamberedin 300wsm and has a hinged floor plate. I would really like to convert the floor plate to a clip if possible.. Any conversion kits available that anyone know's of?

gun)Not that I have heard of' you might check with a good gun smith if you have one in your area.But then you might be opening up a can of worms cause then oboma might make you turn it IN.......................gun)

gun)Not that I have heard of' you might check with a good gun smith if you have one in your area.But then you might be opening up a can of worms cause then oboma might make you turn it IN.......................gun)

I dont have to worry about that as I live in Canada, lol... I've already talked to my local gunsmith, and he siad it would be possible, for between $400-500 then I'll need to buy a clip(s) on top of that. He recommended that I do some digging and asking around first.. So if you hear of anything, let me know pls!

338, Where are you with your Savage? I don't see any recent posts by you.

I haven't been able to read every word on this thread, so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating something that's already been said or ruled out. I just hoped I might be able to say something helpful here for this situation.

I have a standard, Savage 111 FNS I bought new in 1998, before Accutrigger was even on the menu. Back then their triggers were adjustable, but notoriously inconsistent (some wouldn't adjust below 5-6 lbs). I guess a lucked out with this one and got a good stock trigger that adjusts down to 3 lbs., so I never switched it for an aftermarket trigger. Mine shoots 1/2"-3/4" groups with Federal Bluebox Power-shok 180 gr, when I do my part right.

It won't shoot like that right after cleaning. There's no way to get all the oil out of the barrel no matter how much you swab or run dry patches through. It takes 2-3 shots of burning up oil residues, before it settles down and achieves this level of accuracy.

When I first got it, it wouldn't shoot like this either. I had broken my barrel in meticulously, cleaning to pure white, clean patch between each of the first 20 rounds and cleaned between each 3 rounds for the next 40-50 after that. I had checked my scope mounts. Checked to make sure everything was good and tight. I was still only getting 1 1/2-3+" groups with all kinds of ammo. I had tried everything I knew without taking it to some guru or buying all kinds of aftermarket improvements.

I was pretty frustrated, but what did I expect from a "budget" rifle?

Then one day I was tinkering with it and figured out that both of the action/assembly bolts attaching the stock to the metal were over-torqued at the factory. Even though I'd taken it apart a couple of times, when I'd reassembled, I tightened them back up that tight too. I finally tried simply backing them out and tightening until securely and completely engaged but not "horse-cranked" down into the stock, like it came in the box.

I'm not sure what Savage's proper torque specs are for the action/assembly bolts in your "Long Range" gun, but you might check to make sure yours aren't simply over-torqued. It made a world of difference for accuracy in my Savage, to have these bolts/screws tight enough, but not way too tight.

Hoping your problem gets resolved soon!

Last edited:
Yes savage says tork to 40 inch pounds,But you also must check it once in awhile as they will loosen up and you will know when they do cause your groups will loosen up with it.I have found this to be true with all bolt action rifles plus a good tork wrench is always a good tool for your scope mounts and just to pack in your rifle box.................Good luck....................gun)

hey guys... Mine is chamberedin 300wsm and has a hinged floor plate. I would really like to convert the floor plate to a clip if possible.. Any conversion kits available that anyone know's of?

If anyone is looking to change their hinged floor plate to a removeable clip/magazine, I called savage with my serial # off my rifle, and they fixed me up with the right stuff, and now I'm waiting on the parts.. Just thought I'd let you's all know

If anyone is looking to change their hinged floor plate to a removeable clip/magazine, I called savage with my serial # off my rifle, and they fixed me up with the right stuff, and now I'm waiting on the parts.. Just thought I'd let you's all know

Please keep us posted, I am interested in doing the same for my 111 LRH.

Please keep us posted, I am interested in doing the same for my 111 LRH.

Recieved my clip / magazine conversion from savage to replace the hinged floor plate. The kit came with the plate and 2 clips (Clips were ordred inaddition). To change it out, was to remove 3 screws, the floor plate and the trigger guard. All went smooth, and am happy...

If you are looking to replace the hinged floor plate with a clip / magazine, I would recommend this :)

Good luck, hope Savage make it right for you.

I sent my rifle off a few weeks ago and decided to call today to see how things were going or if they were going to do anything at all about the rifle. When I sent the rifle, I had some aftermarket parts I kept because I know companies are not allowed to send a rifle back without all of their stock parts in it. So I only sent the barreled action off with no trigger in it. There must have been enough wrong with this rifle because she stated to me they are sending me a whole new rifle, I told her that was not necessary and all I needed was a new receiver but she insisted they are going to send out a brand new rifle after test firing the new one. Just thought I would follow up and give props to savage for going above and beyond to make things right with me. Thumbs back up for them for now anyway.

I,m thinking about putting a huskemaw on my 300 win mag savage 111 LRH.I have a great load worked-up for it, any one have that set-up on their rifles or any sugestionsgun lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.